FE Exam - Mechanical

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CT-Mechanical

Reaction score
Hello there, 

I've been working in the mechanical engineering field for more than 12 years. Interested in taking the FE, then the PE. My bachelors and masters are both related to IT. I feel that if I focus in on specific study topics geared towards each test, I can pass both tests. 

I see some of these forums are outdated, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend the following: 

1) Which study guide/ class would you recommend? 

2) What time frame do you give yourself to study for the exam? 2-3 months before schedule date? 

3) In CA, NCEES says after July 1, 2017, in addition to the traditional multiple choice, they will use common alternative item types (point and click, drag and drop, fill in the blank). Does anyone in other states have experience with this? 

4) Any other thoughts, comments or suggestions? 

Thank you. 

I am out of school more 10 years. I just took fe mechanical exam, it is really hard for me to complete 110 question in 5 hours (only 2-3 minutes each question). I think I will fail it. I used the FE review manual 2nd edition (rapid preparation for the general fundamentals of engineering exam) for 4 months to prepare it (2 hours everyday+weekend 5 hours). The book is not very useful for me. The sample question is easier than real exam. maybe I should buy fe mechanical review manual. 

Flluterly, did you pass the exam? What was your score? What were the most difficult questions on the exam? 

I don't have score yet. But I think I will fail it. The most difficult part is the time management. You must very familiar with all concepts, otherwise you will fail the test. 

Back