What are you really itching to do come Summer?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canadagoose

That's preposterous.
Reaction score
For me, it's bonfires.  I swear I'm like that character Bear from Alaskan Bush Family.  We just really like building fires.

I'm just gonna build a campfire everywhere it's allowed until I meet some chick who's as nuts about it as I am then marry her.

probably do some grilling out, boil some mud bugs, develop some questions with some erroneous supporting data and overly tricky units

Well, the wall hasn't fallen yet.  The story I got was that they got most of the block up and realized the garage was a few inches out of square with the house.  They knocked down as much as they could, but the bottom couple rows had set up already. So they twisted the top couple rows to be square with the house and "glued" on a brick ledge.  I believe its going to be ok, because everything is square, the funkyness will be covered up and there will be dirt and a concrete pad in front of the modified brick ledge, but I really wish they had just left it alone.  I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have noticed or even cared if it was a little out of square with the house.  Live and learn I guess.  I might should have asked for a discount, but I didn't.  This is the biggest project I've built or had built and I'm learning that no matter how good of a contractor (mines pretty good) or how many hours you put into a set of drawings (i have way too many hours in mine), you have to stay on top of them because they will screw something up.  Everyday work occurs I walk it down to see whats been done and I have had to have them correct several things that were real screwups (not to mention this one).

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_6627.JPG

goodal: That is one nice garage.  Can I move in? 

My brother was having a high-end house built.  He hired an architect to help with the design and plans and the architect's husband happened to be a custom-home builder so they decided to use him.  During construction my sister-in-law went to take a look and noticed that there did not seem to be adequate clearance for some half-round windows they wanted.  Turns out the builder framed the house with 8 ft ceilings when the plans showed 9 ft ceilings.  The a$$hat reied to say this is the way he's used to building houses.  WTF, why bother with the plans at all?  He was immediately fired and they found another contractor to finish the build.  They ended up modifying the windows and did not reframe the entire house.  I wonder how his home life went after that one.   

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I'm calling it "an almost livable" garage.  1/3 will be a gym with a bathroom and AC.  It is very frustrating that I've given my builder (my BIL) numerous sets of plans.  I have never seen one on site, he never seems to have one to look at, many issues that I've had to correct are shown plainly on the plans and many questions he asks are plainly addressed on the plans.  I think I'm getting a good price for what I'm having done, but I'm paying for it in other ways than in cash...

That is one hell of a nice garage!  Just don't let it turn into an "in law suite" :D

But if this is  serious thread, this is my summer goal:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longs_Peak

Wife and I turned around last year when the weather started to look rough and we were both exhausted and out of shape!  trying to hit this 2nd week in August!

That is one hell of a nice garage!  Just don't let it turn into an "in law suite" :D

But if this is  serious thread, this is my summer goal:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longs_Peak

Wife and I turned around last year when the weather started to look rough and we were both exhausted and out of shape!  trying to hit this 2nd week in August!
Cool.  If it were me, I'd bring a rock hammer along.  Never know what you might find.

A prison exit?

The-Shawshank-Redemption-Andy-s-rock-hammer-prop-replica-3.jpg

It's a national Park so it's some type of silly federal crime to take anything from a national Park, but it could be the reason that all of the US national parks are in such good condition

Back