Chemical exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike312c

Reaction score
Fellow ChemEs - how did you feel about the exam? Morning session compared to afternoon? 

Morning was trickier than afternoon. I had to guess on some of the conceptual questions in both the morning and afternoon sessions. Not 100% confident I passed even though I got reasonable answers bc they could have well been the wrong answers. It was a tricky exam. 

I also felt that the morning session was harder than the afternoon. I had no idea on some of the conceptual questions and I had difficulty solving problems in kinetic section. I thought i had 50/50 chance when i left the exam room, but i'm not confident at all at this point.      

It's not CBT yet. April 2017 exam was the last paper based test and CBT will start in Jan 2018.

Exam was tough but decent. Not so much the calculations problem, but the conceptual problems gave me a hard time

The morning session seemed to be straight forward. Maybe I am solved them incorrectly considering everyone else thought it was tricky.  The afternoon session was more challenging for me. I did not have any idea on some of the questions in the afternoon session. 

Does anyone know if they give you a percentage, or if they tell you how many questions you got correct out of 80?

if you fail, you will get a diagnostic form.  Check out any of the past exam threads for examples.  

I read some of the old threads and it seems like they tell you how many questions in the AM an PM you got right i.e. 30 AM, 21 PM. I also read that someone failed with a 56/80 - which means that they failed even with a 70%.... that doesn't make sense. Would they raise the "cut score" passed 70% if they considered the exam easy??!

70 is a ROM score that forum members have suggested.  The actual cut scores aren't disclosed but based on the available NCEES scoring information it is possible for the required passing score to be more than 70.

The morning exam was tougher than the afternoon for me. Some questions I did not understand and skipped over them. But I had time at the end to come back and then figured them out. I didn't bring Perry's, which I do regret.

Back