NFL 2017

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Audi Driver P.E.

Reaction score
Haha, great start to the NFL 2017 thread! I think the Niners pulled off a nice deal trading down to the #3 spot and giving the Bears that #2 pick! As for who they actually chose, he seems nice. Still have many questions about what this team is going to look like come September, however.

Haha, great start to the NFL 2017 thread! I think the Niners pulled off a nice deal trading down to the #3 spot and giving the Bears that #2 pick! As for who they actually chose, he seems nice. Still have many questions about what this team is going to look like come September, however.
I just realized that I said Solomon Thomas seems nice. Well, I am not sure what I was going for there, but I think I meant to say he seemed like a decent pick. But then again, I heard his little interview with the ESPN radio people, and I do think he sounded quite nice, and very respectful.

People still work at ESPN who cover the NFL? I heard they fired everyone except for their quasi-political NBA morons.

Wondering if any other cities are having a fit about "questionable" draft picks or if it's only Cincinnati.

Yeah, it's not good for guys to be punching women in the face, but the way the news is reporting it, you would think that Mixon is the anti-Christ.  The incident happened over 3 years ago and it sounds like the whole thing has been settled.  Mixon and the woman even met in private and both apologized and it sounds like they are moving on.  From all the interviews it sounds like he knows he's going to be under a microscope and will be minding his p's and q's.

Minnesota drafted a guy who punched a woman in the face and beats puppies, but I didn't see anyone making a big deal about that.

I think the Raiders Gareon Conley pick is much safer than people give credit for.  There's zero evidence of the sexual assault allegations, he's already passed a polygraph test, and he answered all police questions and volunteered a DNA sample without hesitation.  If that doesn't sound like another money grab, I don't know what does.  

Aren't polygraphs pretty faulty? But in any case, that's good if he is cooperating with everything asked of him. It's the best way to clean the slate if nothing truly did happen.

Aren't polygraphs pretty faulty? But in any case, that's good if he is cooperating with everything asked of him. It's the best way to clean the slate if nothing truly did happen.
They can be, but if your NFL career and possible prison sentence was contingent upon a conviction, would you volunteer to take one?

Oh I'm not trying to judge him on his decision to take one. I just was commenting more on the use of polygraph tests in a more general sense. The NFL thread, however, is probably not quite the best place for that.

In any case, I am really hoping for less sexual assault and battery and crimes of that sort in professional sports, so if this guy's clean, all the better! I can definitely understand why he'd go and do everything he could to not have his career ruined before it begins.

^^^ And because of that, his estate is protected against civil suits from the victim's family.

What are everyone's thoughts on Houston's pick up of Watson?  Seems like a great player but will he go the way of all the other star college QB's who did not amount to much?  If it works out then I think they really made some improvements with ditching brock osweiller for some draft picks?

I think most star college QB's end up fizzling out in the NFL because they're typically drafted by bad teams with poor offensive lines. It's unreasonable to expect them to "jump right in" to a star NFL role without being on a team capable of supporting them. QB's like Andrew Luck and Phillip Rivers come to mind as QB's who landed on teams able to build around them quickly.

In the case of Watson, I think he stands a reasonably good chance to be good since Houston has been improving quite a bit over the last few years. That being said, Houston was able to run down a $70m+ "star" QB in less than half a season last year and they've done the same to others before that.

I do think that Watson celebrated the fact that he wasn't drafted by Cleveland though...

^^^ And because of that, his estate is protected against civil suits from the victim's family.
I don't believe that's true.  They can file a civil suit but their case loses a lot of steam without the conviction.  They pretty much have to "retry" the case to prove to the civil jury that he's responsible.  Translation: trial is longer and more expensive and a judgement is not a slam dunk.  Example:  OJ was acquitted but the goldman's sued him anyway.

Interestingly enough, the state is also appealing the overturned conviction on the notion that committing suicide results in a forfeiture of rights and is an intentional abandonment of the right to appeal, unlike someone who is murdered or dies of natural cause before exhausting the appeals process.

I am getting excited because the Titans are semi-relevant again.  Vegas has them as the early favorites to win the AFC South, but they have disappointed me many times before.

Back