Protecting the PE License

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knight1fox3

Jedi MASTER & Friend of Capt. Solo
Reaction score
I got an email recently from NSPE and thought I would share. I'm sure it's partially an attempt to secure additional membership, but at the same time there are probably some valid concerns.

https://www.nspe.org/resources/issues-and-advocacy/latest-news

Is Your License Safe? 

As a PE, a typical day for you might include troubleshooting problems, designing solutions, or managing a project.  What is probably not at the top of your list of responsibilities is to monitor threats to your license.  

Policymakers on both sides of the political spectrum are considering options to dramatically weaken and even eliminate occupational licensure requirements. Since the start of 2016, 21 states have introduced legislation and/or regulations that would erode and even destroy PE licensure as we know it today.

Protecting the PE License

Earlier this month, at the last minute and without any advanced warning, a bill in the Nevada legislature  (A.B. 353) that would erode occupational licensure in the state was scheduled for consideration the next morning. National and state leaders immediately took action, preparing a response to the bill, including filing a joint letter of opposition before the deadline, which was 5:00 PM that day. As a result of our timely and forceful intervention, in writing and working behind the scenes with our network of national and local licensing contacts, the bill was dropped from the legislative committee's agenda the next day.

https://www.nspe.org/resources/issues-and-advocacy/action-issues/threats-professional-licensure 

April2017ThreatMap(3).png

I have seen different posts of this type over the past couple of years. I am not sure what they are thinking, except they have no clue what we do. Are they planning on removing the Bar exam, or the medical boards?

Congressional offices both state and federal should be a part time job. When they sit around with time on their hands, they think of silly things like this to toss around.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Looks like I'll $300 this year and not bother to renew.

Not here it won't. I'm telling you, the legislators do not have the balls. There would be too much crying and back room deals.

edit:

I personally like the idea of a PDH requirement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not here it won't. I'm telling you, the legislators do not have the balls. There would be too much crying and back room deals.

edit:

I personally like the idea of a PDH requirement.
That's similar in effect to saying, your state won't recognize the now national standardized PE test required for licensure. The hand will be forced at some point just as it was with the exam. 

This is Fake News / Intellectual Dishonesty on the part of NCEES

In my experience things like this only come up in states that are trying to use this as an example of why other professions should be licensed, A common one is Residential Contractors (basically a form of life lower than Real Estate Agents and Defense Attorneys) - Its usually some "legislator" that has had a bad experience with a home builder and finds their is no recourse (no license in most states) so they come up with some argument, well if the guy that built my house doesn't need to have a license then why should the people who design our bridges?  - Without much real attempt to do away with licensure.

It's different than taking a standardized test. A PDH requirement would result in people having to spend money to take classes. That wouldn't go over too well. It would also result in someone having to monitor/track/verify PDH credits. This is a state that allows only two local (likely family members) companies to supply PE stamps. I can see the same being done with the PDH requirements. You can only take classes with "Cousin Vinny".

It's different than taking a standardized test. A PDH requirement would result in people having to spend money to take classes. 
Not always the case. In most instances, employer-provided training goes a long way toward being acceptable as PDHs. As does any other company-sponsored and/or company-funded training programs. Typically only in extreme cases where an individual waits until the last month prior to renewal would a license-holder have to pay for classes to "cram" to meet the requirement. In addition, a certain number of PDHs can also be banked for the following renewal period. 

The intent is not to be a financial burden, the intent is to have licensed engineers maintain competence in the latest developments/standards/practices that are relevant to their profession.

Last edited by a moderator:
employer-provided training
Yeah, we don't do that here.

the intent is to have licensed engineering maintain competence in the latest developments/standards/practices that are relevant to their profession.
This I agree with and have been looking into classes to take even though I don't have too.

Our PE's get many opportunities for PDH. Most come from contractors trying to sell their latest product. Software, TRM, ect... They are all free and usually include lunch.

Yeah, we don't do that here.

This I agree with and have been looking into classes to take even though I don't have too.
Join the government when you first get the chance. pay might be lower but health,retirement, and continuing education benefits all are worth it and add up to being the same, if not more. Not to mention union protections (depending on the state) which has priceless benefits when it comes to being home at the same time of day to spend time with the family. priceless.

You have absolutely ZERO training on anything related to your job function? QC, logistics, financial, organizational?

I find that hard to believe.
really? review the quality and quantity of his posts.... Do you still feel that way?

Join the government when you first get the chance. pay might be lower but health,retirement, and continuing education benefits all are worth it and add up to being the same, if not more. Not to mention union protections (depending on the state) which has priceless benefits when it comes to being home at the same time of day to spend time with the family. priceless.
I do work for the government. :)  

PDH's are not really intended to "keep you up to date" they are more of a result of someone who sells those classes takes the right politician / government schmuck to the right vacation / dinner until they convince them that we all "need" to buy their worthless PDH / CEU classes, books, etc..  Its basically welfare...

Reducing government regulation and cutting red tape clear the way for businesses to help grow the economy, right?  Deregulate the engineering industry, it'll promote competition and we'll all be better off!

Yes, this is all tongue-in-cheek but I'm sure there are tons of politicians that would swallow this idea hook, line and sinker.

Back