bulls2030

Considering getting a Master's Degree. I am a Civil Engineer.

8 posts in this topic

I completed my Bachelors in Civil Engineering May 2015. Worked one year in Site Development and for the past 10 months on Roadway Design. Passed the PE exam last Spring in Transportation. (since I am in Illinois, I don't have to wait the 4 years to take the exam)

I am thinking to pursue further education and get a Masters Degree. What options are good for the future for Civil Engineers?

I am open to the idea of getting a Masters in Civil Engineering but I am considering other degrees as well. One of the fields I was thinking is MBA. 

Any experience on what other Masters programs would be valuable in the future?

Value of Masters program depends on where you want to take your career. If you want to move to management, an MBA may be more valuable than masters in Civil Engineering.  If want to stay in design field, make sure you know where you want to focus so your master can be centered around that. For example, don't go for a master's in water resources/land development focused masters program and then decide you want to focus your career on structural design. 

Why do you want a Master degree?

Just work a couple more years and see if engineering is even what you want to do.  

4 hours ago, youngmotivatedengineer said:

Value of Masters program depends on where you want to take your career. If you want to move to management, an MBA may be more valuable than masters in Civil Engineering.  If want to stay in design field, make sure you know where you want to focus so your master can be centered around that. For example, don't go for a master's in water resources/land development focused masters program and then decide you want to focus your career on structural design. 

I think what I want to do is Roadway Design. That is what interests me most. 

What other degrees are you considering then? Other than MBA? Which I think is quite different...

Do it

1 person likes this