Full wave rectifier

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The figure itself alone is not a rectifier. I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, that if you analyze it carefully; you will have no output during the positive and negative cycle. But as @TNSparky said, it might be true that NCEES doesn't or will not show the entire bridge a most of the times. But still, this might confuse a lot of us.

The figure itself alone is not a rectifier. I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, that if you analyze it carefully; you will have no output during the positive and negative cycle. But as @TNSparky said, it might be true that NCEES doesn't or will not show the entire bridge a most of the times. But still, this might confuse a lot of us.
Thanks @TNSparky and @sudope. Certainly is is not a full wave rectifier ckt. If we take it as a ckt. there is no output at load but as @TNSparky mentions if NCEES is using it as a symbol for full wave rectifier and we should interpret it like that only. 

Every single practice problem I've seen like this is all shown the same and whenever there is only 1 diode, it's a half wave circuit. If there are 2, it's a full wave.

No, it's not what I'd expect to see with a rectifier circuit, but I had to get used to how they were representing it in their one-line format.

I figured it's part of what we do every day as engineers. We see different drawing conventions across different companies and applications based on different drawing convention philosophies. We have to adapt and still be able to read them. It's part of the skills of a PE.

Back