Help with this equation

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BEL

Reaction score
So I didn't think about this as an issue when I first started studying, I don't do a lot of math anymore in my job. It feels like a silly issue, but I'm struggling with the algebra that I'll need on the exam!

I have two equations that I'm stuck on, from practice problems. The solutions just show the equation to use, and the answer. Can anyone help with this?

Thank you!

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

You don't have time to work out more complex algebra by hand during the exam.  Use the SOLVE function on your calculator.  Literally just enter the equations exactly as you have written and hit the solve button.  It is very easy on a Casio fx-115ES.  There are youtube videos that can walk you through using the SOLVE function and the paper manual that comes with the calculator also shows you how it's done.  I just plugged both into my calculator and got roughly 3.8 as a solution for both equations.

The second equation is not equal to the third equation in your post. Anyway, the second and the third are easy.

The second one is d^(2+2/3) = 63.72/(0.353^(2/3)) => d = [63.72/(0.353^(2/3))]^(8/3) . 

The first one is a quadratic equation in d if you go through the algebra. 

Of course, you can use your calculator as the previous poster suggested to get the answer. However, sometimes it is good to go through the algebra just to sharpen the old skill set. :)

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
>The second equation is not equal to the third equation in your post. 
Correct, they are two separate problems.

Thanks!

Back