Study Strategy

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meehow09

Reaction score
On the PE exam, when you got to a problem on the exam such as structural/soils,

did you actually know how to do the problems or did you look up an example problem that is similar and follow that?

On the PE exam, when you got to a problem on the exam such as structural/soils,

did you actually know how to do the problems or did you look up an example problem that is similar and follow that?
You should really do your best to have a solid understanding of a lot of the major basic topics involving all disciplines. You should not find yourself relying on example problems because when you are in the exam, your brain will be functioning at a billion mph and you may not remember where that one example was that you needed, but if you know the basics you can jump right into the problem and get cranking and maybe look up some reference equations rather than a specific problem.

For me, the AM was a combination of knowing how to solve the problem and having to look for examples. I completed the ones I knew how to solve on my first pass. On my second pass, I attempted the ones that needed a bit more "research." My third pass was to make "educated" guesses on those I couldn't solve on my second pass.

Back