How much is a starter house in your area?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canadagoose

That's preposterous.
Reaction score
The cheapest detached house that has a decent back yard for a garden and is in a decent neighbourhood and is 30 min or less from work?

I feel like the US houses might be cheaper.  Here, it's like $300k.

at least that in the Boston Area.  Probably closer to $400k.

i need further definitions of starter home.  Does it have to be permanent or can it mobile? Sq ft?  2 or 3 bed?

Doll house starter homes in town can be found for $65K-$80K

larger, needs TLC 2-3 bed for low $100K  

You can buy a house in my town for about $20k.  Something reasonable runs around $50k-60k.

You can buy a house in my town for about $20k.  Something reasonable runs around $50k-60k.
So you can buy a house cash after a year or two?  What do you do with all the excess money you're drowning in?

Huh, not really any "starter" homes out here. If you want a single family home with a commute to work less than an hour, you're looking at $750k+ and some of those would be tear downs and all of them would need work. Going further out you can probably get the price down to around $600k or so, but that's with a 1.5 hour commute to and from work. 

In Southwest Riverside County, southern CA where I live - if we define a starter home as a Single Family Residence, tract home, 1800-2200 SF, 7,000 SF lot, 2-car garage - you're looking at $300-350.  Go to San Diego County, Orange County, or L.A. County and be prepared to probably double that. 

My house (2700 SF, 3-car garage, view) peaked at like $550,000 pre-recession but I got it for $350,000 mid-recession (it continued to drop to below $300).  It's worth maybe $450-$475 now. 

Haha @Audi driver, P.E.! Except it's so, so nice here. Wait, ignore that I just said that. I don't want even more people to realize how great it is to live here.

Just waiting for the tech bubble to burst!

Back