Environmental Depth Concerns

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockyTop PE

Reaction score
Hi All,

With just over 3 weeks to go until the exam I feel that I am behind on studying for the environmental portion of the depth exam.  I don't work in any of the environmental topics, so the majority of the material is foreign to me.  Does anyone have any recommendations for what they did to teach themselves environmental from scratch?  I have some great resources pulled together, but it just seems like there are SO many topics in the environmental sections (yes I have looked at the NCEES specifications).  Guess I'm just getting a little worried and looking for advice.

Thanks!

Matt

Well, usuall if your chosen depth is Environmental, it is expected that you have at least background in the material.

For the morning portion of the environmental, I remember that it was easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, I did not know. My depth was structural and I did not get anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt,

I recommend sitting down with the CERM and reading over the environmental chapters until you can competently discuss the key components (processes) of the water treatment and wastewater treatment processes. Filtration, sedimentation, aeration, activated sludge, etc. Think big picture and don't get too bogged down in the details. The CERM practice problems in the environmental will be helpful.

That should get you competent enough to answer most theory questions. I think you'll find most environment problems are plug and chug or can be answered by logically manipulating units.

I also would purchase some WRE depth exams from Amazon from a few different sources to get some practice on the different types of environmental problems. Units, units, units, along with "What does a trickling filter do, anyway?" -type approach.

You'll be fine!

Thanks Spaghetti_PE.  I sat down yesterday and just read the CERM and that is how it seems to me as well.  I guess the amount of material in those areas just spooked me!

Bring your FE Reference Manual (if you still have it). It'll come in handy for something like risk factor or some sort of health related question.

Hi All,

I have been working as a structural engineer since I graduated 6 years ago, however it's a very limited experience. Should I choose the water resources with no knowledge but high passing rate or take the structure which is the hardest with a some knowledge?

Thanks in advance for any help

Hi All,

I have been working as a structural engineer since I graduated 6 years ago, however it's a very limited experience. Should I choose the water resources with no knowledge but high passing rate or take the structure which is the hardest with a some knowledge?

Thanks in advance for any help

Back