ACSE 7-10 Chapter 27 and Chapter 28 Choice

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StandardPractice

Reaction score
Does anyone know if NCEES designates which method to use when determining wind pressures for MWFRS? In NCEES practice exam it seems to call out directional/envelope, but I just went over a practice question from PPI (Problem 15 Lateral Breadth - 16hr SE Building Exam) in which they asked for roof pressure (PNW). I went through ch. 28 procedures and obtained the correct answer, but am not sure if that was a fluke since the answer key used the directional procedure. 

If they don't state to use a certain method it is up to you to decide which to use. When solving problems like this,  look at the information that you are given and see if 1 method would be easier/simpler than the other. It's like driving from point A to point B. 1 road may take you straight there while a second route may make you go through 3 or 4 turns before you get to the destination. In the end you still get to point B but it's your decision which path you take. 

I am pretty sure they give you the methods but some it should be apparent.  Also, make sure you look at the applicability of each chapter to the problem you are solving, such as height limitations, enclosure classification and irregularities.  These applicability checks are at the front of each chapter.

Back