Did you end up living in your hometown after you started to work?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First job out of college was in a small town (<12,000 people) three hours West of my home town (~100,000), had to move back to my hometown for a few months after I was laid off in the Fall of '08.

Nope. My first job was in 40 miles away from where I went to college, which was on the other side of the country from where I'm from. Then I moved to a job in the same city as I went to college, and now I have moved back across the country to work about a 45 minute drive from where I grew up.

I moved either furthest or second furthest in my graduating high school class to go to college, and haven't been back to my hometown for anything other than the occasional family visit or funeral since.

I wanted to stay in my hometown. But out of school it didn't work out that way, which I'm glad it didn't.

No, my first job was in another state about 4-5 hours drive from my hometown.  Most engineers did not stay in that town because it was essentially a university town first, with healthcare, government and academic careers the only real options.  Not much industry that would bring in engineers.

Back