2015 PISA student rankings by country

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a list of countries that have put a human on the moon:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States
To be honest, when I was in school, I never thought the other kids were smart.  Maybe 10% were but not at an international level vs Asian countries.  I was actually confused at both Canada's and the US's placements.

But the USA has scale.  Even if the average IQ is a bit lower, there will still be way more high IQ people vs a country 1/10 the size.  Plus, moon years funding for NASA as % of GDP was like 4%. 

Also, the moon would never be a priority for Canada.  It's a barren ball of natural resources, which Canada has a shitton of.  Canada actually needs smart people.  Millions of smart people.

no one is sneaking into China to try and make a better life for themselves.... they usually have around 2 million people a year exit the country..

maybe the test results are in correlation to the on average 5 Million people a year who come to the US every year?  I would be in favor of only taking the ones from the "top 10" to better our test scores..thats it we should hold a spelling bee for anyone trying to come over the wall!

no one is sneaking into China to try and make a better life for themselves.... they usually have around 2 million people a year exit the country..

maybe the test results are in correlation to the on average 5 Million people a year who come to the US every year?  I would be in favor of only taking the ones from the "top 10" to better our test scores..thats it we should hold a spelling bee for anyone trying to come over the wall!
Ya a lot of people think North America is better.  In many way it is.  Cleaner, less crowded, easier to succeed.  The rich people from China send their kids to Canada to do university because it's easy as **** here.  So they probably don't think they could compete in China.

By the same token the people going to China are doing it because they can have a better life.  Mostly I'm thinking of random white people whose only skill is being white and knowing English becoming English teachers.

I remember seeing quite a few reports comparing US to other countries where the US was usually ranked pretty well below in test scores.  The important part of those articles was that kids from the US demonstrably were far better at actually applying that knowledge and being innovative whereas kids from China etc. were learning by rote.

Other than the obvious, one of the reasons why China steals US military ideas is simply because they cannot innovate as well.  Give them a general idea, however, and they can excel at developing it.

I remember seeing quite a few reports comparing US to other countries where the US was usually ranked pretty well below in test scores.  The important part of those articles was that kids from the US demonstrably were far better at actually applying that knowledge and being innovative whereas kids from China etc. were learning by rote.

Other than the obvious, one of the reasons why China steals US military ideas is simply because they cannot innovate as well.  Give them a general idea, however, and they can excel at developing it.
Whatever gets holodecks and replicators here fastest.  And our DS9 space station and fleet of Defiants before we're enslaved by the real enemy.  Aliens.

My husband taught English in China for a while between community college and university. He said it was a huge prestige thing to be seen in public with a white friend. And they also paid him like $200/hr. Not a bad gig, really.

$200 to teach or to walk around with Asians?  I could be down with that kind of money (for walking around- not teaching)

My husband taught English in China for a while between community college and university. He said it was a huge prestige thing to be seen in public with a white friend. And they also paid him like $200/hr. Not a bad gig, really.
USD?  That's the highest rate I've ever heard of.

Back