Aluminum vs. Aluminium

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Audi Driver P.E.

Reaction score
How do you say (and spell) the name of the metal identified as element number 13 on the periodic table.  Currently in a discussion in my office as to which way is proper (regardless of what is commonly used):

Aluminum? or Aluminium?

:B

Last edited by a moderator:
A similar question, how do you pronounce the letter represented by the character Z?  "zee" or "zed"?  I suspect answers will mirror Aluminum or Aluminium above.

A similar answer to thekziengPE above..."zee: because that's what Americans call it.  My experience is that it's generally foreigners that say "zed"

From what I can tell, once you leave North America, all other English speaking countries say Zed.

Here it's pronounced Al-you-min-eee-um.

Also it's: ash-fault instead of azphalt

They also seem incapable of saying several words that normally end with a vowel sound without adding an extra R: Idear, criteriar

Annoying as ****.

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry to tell her this but she is wrong. Ask her how she pronounces Houston County?

when you're standing in a queue waiting for something, is it in line or on line?  I'm from NY, which is apparently the only place where people say standing on line.

Back