Transportation PE, PTOE, and California TE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpalframan

Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice or input on taking the PTOE and California Traffic Engineer exam soon after taking the regular PE exam (transportation afternoon session)?  

My boss has suggested that I look into taking both of those exams within a reasonable amount of time after the PE exam this April.  I'm close to burning out on my PE studying, but I can't imagine having to start from scratch again in a few years.  Any thoughts?

Does anyone have any advice or input on taking the PTOE and California Traffic Engineer exam soon after taking the regular PE exam (transportation afternoon session)?  

My boss has suggested that I look into taking both of those exams within a reasonable amount of time after the PE exam this April.  I'm close to burning out on my PE studying, but I can't imagine having to start from scratch again in a few years.  Any thoughts?
Assuming you have already applied for licensure as a PE in California, you will need to make sure that the experience claimed in your TE application doesn't overlap with the experience claimed in your previous application and meet the definition of TE in the California laws.

@kpalframan i'm in a similar situation. passed civil in october and am applying for TE this october (i definitely have the qualifying experience). actually filling out my reference forms as we speak (due May 1!!!). i was also told by my supervisors to study for ptoe. I'm a bit annoyed at having to take two tests, especially since TE is only offered 1x/year and now i'm nervous i'm going to fail the TE because I'll be focused on PTOE as well...butttttttttttttt we both clearly work in traffic engineering and i'm thinking this actually won't be very daunting. as a heads up, ptoe is offered 3x/year. if you really want to, you could space them out, giving you a little extra time, but TBH, i don't really think there will be all that much difference between the 2 exams, other than the use of HDM+CA MUTCD (as opposed to ONLY asshto and nat'l MUTCD). let me know what you plan to do since i'm in the same boat...i don't want to overdo it, but i also don't want to lag on taking the ptoe because i don't "feel like" taking two very similar exams.

in my case, i will have actually taken the 8 hr (transpo depth) 2 years prior to taking the TE, so while that's pretty soon after, it isn't quite one year either.

Back