Reference list for Mechanical exam?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troll

Reaction score
how is everyone coming up with the books you plan on bringing?

I contacted NCEES and they say there is no list whatsoever for this exam. So how do you know what to bring?

I'm taking the Mechanical HVAC and Refrigeration test.  From what I've studied and advice from others, I've committed to bringing:

- MERM and Practice Problems

- Binder I put together including MERM index, practice problems, notes, equation sheets, etc. (there are some great online resources)

- ASHRAE reference books (all four)

- Cameron Hydraulic Data

- Trane AC Manual (if I can get my hands on a copy)

- NCEES practice test

and that's about it.  What about the rest of you? 

NCEES does not recommend what books to bring with you to the exam.  It's up to each individual to bring the books he/she feels are necessary to pass.  For the TF exam I brought:

MERM

MERM Index and Appendix printed separately

Lindeberg conversion book

NCEES sample exams (2001, 2008)

Six Minute Solution sample

Gas Tables

Binder with charts, tables I printed out and needed during prep.

I'm taking the Mechanical HVAC and Refrigeration test.  From what I've studied and advice from others, I've committed to bringing:

- MERM and Practice Problems

- Binder I put together including MERM index, practice problems, notes, equation sheets, etc. (there are some great online resources)

- ASHRAE reference books (all four)

- Cameron Hydraulic Data

- Trane AC Manual (if I can get my hands on a copy)

- NCEES practice test

and that's about it.  What about the rest of you? 
I have these Ashrae books:

- HVAC Systems and Equipment

- HVAC Application

- Fundamentals

To which set of books are you referring? 

NCEES does not recommend what books to bring with you to the exam.  It's up to each individual to bring the books he/she feels are necessary to pass.  For the TF exam I brought:

MERM

MERM Index and Appendix printed separately

Lindeberg conversion book

NCEES sample exams (2001, 2008)

Six Minute Solution sample

Gas Tables

Binder with charts, tables I printed out and needed during prep.
seems like there is a lot less references needed than other tests. Isn't the pass rate like 86%? i suppose mostly conceptual?

Well most of thermal fluids, at a basic level, is captured by the material in the MERM and the gas tables.  You don't need additional references unless you are dealing with advanced heat transfer to calculate Nusselt numbers or Bessel functions etc.

For the HVAC test, which sections of the MERM should one NOT bother on looking through?

the book is divided into 15 sections

The intro section in the MERM has a suggested reference list.   Also, take a look at this thread:

For the HVAC test, which sections of the MERM should one NOT bother on looking through?

the book is divided into 15 sections
Who knows?

No one can confirm that HVAC examinees, for example, won't have to know anything about Machine Design -- although the exam specification seems to suggest this (with the exception of some vibration topics).

Who knows?

No one can confirm that HVAC examinees, for example, won't have to know anything about Machine Design -- although the exam specification seems to suggest this (with the exception of some vibration topics).
hmm, looks like civil is still the only one that has topics covering everything civil. at least judging by the NCEES pdf

i'll confirm with ncees that the HVAC test is all HVAC morning and afternoon

Back