Life plateau after 30

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canadagoose

That's preposterous.
Reaction score
Anybody feel like you've more or less climbed up as far and explored as much as there is?  The rest is just a plateau or a thinly disguised plateau (I mean how different is a manager or director title really for your every day life)?

If you've hit a plateau, to me that means that you've got to double-down your efforts to learn and grow.  I thought I had hit that a few years ago and it was really depressing.

Some people don't need much to "jump start" their career again, others need something drastic. Being able to get out of your comfort zone once in a while goes a long way towards destroying that plateau. 

If you've hit a plateau, to me that means that you've got to double-down your efforts to learn and grow.  I thought I had hit that a few years ago and it was really depressing.

Some people don't need much to "jump start" their career again, others need something drastic. Being able to get out of your comfort zone once in a while goes a long way towards destroying that plateau. 
In other words, accept diminishing marginal returns and exert double effort and trudge on?

No, accept that you have hit a plateau and devise a plan to get out of it. If you don't like your surroundings, move. Don't expect your surroundings to change just because you're stuck.

That could mean anything from volunteering for a new/different project, to a new job, to a new career, all the way up to a new country...

Last edited by a moderator:
Big difference in different levels of management in the future. Hell, I didn't even 'start' my career until I was 32. After passing the PE, I felt a little like there was nothing left to accomplish. Now, I am working to make the next move within the company. Lots to learn, lots to do and lots to prove.

I mean how different is a manager or director title really for your every day life
Based on the salary differences, it can have a pretty significant impact on my every day life.  

Anybody feel like you've more or less climbed up as far and explored as much as there is?  The rest is just a plateau or a thinly disguised plateau (I mean how different is a manager or director title really for your every day life)?
no

Nope X2. You need to get moving and switch jobs, move somewhere, change careers or something.  

or you could just start drinking....heavily.
You should listen to him. He's pre-med.

bluto-o.gif

The definition of insanity is doing the same predictable thing over and over again and expecting a different outcome.

If you've hit a plateau, it's time to shake things up. Push yourself. Get out of your comfort zone. You won't have to worry about life being boring at that point.

Your 20s are about adventure and looking forward to what the future has in store. It feels like a plateau at first when you hit 30, but then you realize you're just learning what it means to be content and live in the moment. If you learn to do that, you'll learn to appreciate life far more than you ever imagined.

The only limit is that which you accept.
BS. that's the same as saying everyone can become president if they work hard enough.  It sounds great in a motivational seminar, but it's idealistic.  There are real limits based on age, gender, etc. but I do believe the limits are not as wide-spread and "limiting" as all of the special interest groups claim them to be. 

BS. that's the same as saying everyone can become president if they work hard enough.  It sounds great in a motivational seminar, but it's idealistic.  There are real limits based on age, gender, etc. but I do believe the limits are not as wide-spread and "limiting" as all of the special interest groups claim them to be. 
A limit you have accepted.  :)

Back