93" Costco Bear

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have one, but only cause I am not supposed to go to Costco unsupervised :D

If I ever make phatty money, I will buy everything they sell :D

5e15b797b5d50a50f8bbcb91c83808cc.jpg

you would think so.  Plus we get a corporate discount on our membership because there's a BJs store directly across the street from our office and BJs struck up an agreement with us.

I have a sam's club membership only because even with the annual fee my OTC allergy meds are still WAY cheaper than buying from a regular store.  
I certainly understand the argument for the clubs but I still can not bring myself to give a company money for the 'privilege' of giving them my business (I feel the same way about paying for parking).  But it is getting harder to stand my principle as we now have three kids and Mrs. ptatohed is pushing for a membership.  :eek:

I certainly understand the argument for the clubs but I still can not bring myself to give a company money for the 'privilege' of giving them my business (I feel the same way about paying for parking).  But it is getting harder to stand my principle as we now have three kids and Mrs. ptatohed is pushing for a membership.  :eek:
three kid...definitelt time to buy in bulk.  The savings are great but I pretty much just buy water, Gatorade and paper goods, the food packages are just way too big for two people.  Even with my minimal purchases I definitely save the annual "fee"

If you don't pay for parking then you must never go to any major city.

A few of you saw my post on Facebook this week.... Sam's Club had bacon on sale so we bought 8 lbs. Eight lbs of Wright thick-cut bacon for $29.  That's less per lb than what the crappy stuff costs at the grocery store on sale.

Granted, the two of us could never eat 8 lbs of bacon before it went bad, but we have one of those vacuum sealers (insert csb vacuum joke here) so we divided it into weekly portions and froze it.  It'll probably last us 6 months.

And yeah, in the past I never would have spent the money for a membership, but the wife's parents have a business membership and my wife is one of the "employees."

three kid...definitelt time to buy in bulk.  The savings are great but I pretty much just buy water, Gatorade and paper goods, the food packages are just way too big for two people.  Even with my minimal purchases I definitely save the annual "fee"

If you don't pay for parking then you must never go to any major city.
I worded that poorly.  While (to date) I have managed to not pay shopping membership fees; as much as I dislike doing so, I have and do pay for parking.  But I wasn't thinking big cities as much as I was thinking amusement parks, zoo, etc. 

I remember when I was 18 and I got my first Wells Fargo student Visa.  They waived the ($18 I think?) annual fee the first year.  Second year came and they tried to charge me the annual fee.  I called up and got it waived.  Third year came, I was charged, but this time they would not waive it.  I cancelled my card on the spot, shopped around for a no annual fee card, and have had no annual fee cards ever since.  Similar thing with checking.  When I aged out of my student checking at Wells, they imposed a monthly fee that they would not waive.  I withdrew my life's savings (*cough* $400 *cough*) and walked over to Washington Mutual where they had free checking (with $300 minimum balance - I just made it!).  Oh, and I think I have paid an ATM charge 3 times in my life and I can remember each and every time - it stung.  :)  

We are frugal people at the RG house (mostly) & I don't even know what we pay for the Costco membership but I would pay it even if it doubled, last weekend I bought a pair of terrific pants, a stand up paddle board, and 4 lobster tails, and then I ordered a strawberry sundae from the deli and picked it up on the way out the door..it was a F'n  awesome day!

The only thing I don't like about Costco is the annoying phucks that want to see your receipt when you are leaving...

I call BS on the Costco pop tarts "combo". Don't know one want the odd flavor they mix in. Cinnamon peanut butter. Usually they have two good flavors and then something you would donate to the food bank at the end of the year

Costco membership is totally worth it. They typically only sell high quality goods and you can return anything at any time, for any reason. Besides, with 3 kids, you're going to need to buy booze in bulk.

Last edited by a moderator:
We had friends buy some of Costco's rack of lamb a while back. They put it in their chest freezer and forgot about it for 8-9 months. When they found it they decided that they didn't even want it so they returned it.

Costco took it back, no questions asked.

Back