The Shopping Thread

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canadagoose

That's preposterous.
Reaction score
Where you post stuff you're shopping for and people tell you things they've already researched and found to be their best solution!  May not apply to you, but then again it might!

Some of Husqvarna's stuff is made in the USA.

I had a Husqvarna and while it did perform well, they really cheapened up the housing in the last 10 years or so (about the time they started selling them at lowes). If I had to buy again I would buy a Sthil, but since I live on a 1/4 acre lot in suburban hell I probably wont have the need anytime soon..

but since I live on a 1/4 acre lot in suburban hell I probably wont have the need anytime soon..
But what do you guys do for Xmas trees and when you need to fix the newel post??? :dunno:

fixed-the-newel-post-o.gif

I had a Husqvarna and while it did perform well, they really cheapened up the housing in the last 10 years or so (about the time they started selling them at lowes). If I had to buy again I would buy a Sthil, but since I live on a 1/4 acre lot in suburban hell I probably wont have the need anytime soon..

Yeah, that's basically what I've heard, that Stihl is pretty much the way to go.  We had 60+ mph winds last week and I haven't surveyed all the property yet, but I'm sure I have a mess to clean up.

It helps if you are going to do a lot of tree removal with say a 24" bar saw that you also get a smaller chainsaw to "cut you out" when the larger one gets stuck. At least that's the story I told my wife when I bought two....

We had a house with almost 2 acres when we were young that got whacked by the pine beetle. I tried to cut and burn myself but it became a tough job to do without a bobcat. I eventually just paid someone to clear out the pine while it was still salvageable for pulp..

Yeah, that's basically what I've heard, that Stihl is pretty much the way to go.  We had 60+ mph winds last week and I haven't surveyed all the property yet, but I'm sure I have a mess to clean up.
Borrowed my boss' 16" bar Stihl a few weeks ago, and that thing's a little monster.  Made very short work of 8" thick limbs.

Depending on exactly what you are doing with it I would recommend a Stihl 039 but you do have to becareful because I know one year they changed the production a little and they were overheating.  It's a resonably priced saw, and with an 18 inch bar you can take down pretty much any size tree if you know what your doing and can execute a good plung cut.  Honestly, if you can't take something down with that size bar you probably shouldn't tackle it anyway.  If you are looking for something someone of smaller proportions,  Jonsered is a line manufactured by Husquvarna that actually has some features that really add to the ease of use, specifically the spin start which makes it WAY easier to cold start it.  I wouldn't really recommend on for felling, but if your cutting up things on the ground the safety features also are something to consider, branches under tension can be mean to deal with.   

Back