Questions sequences vs. NCEES specifications list

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Max Abraham

Reaction score
New member - first post here: Does the real PE (CIVIL) test question maintain the sequence as listed in the NCEES Specification document. I mean starts with Construction, Geotech,Structure, Water Resources etc. in that order or it is just completely random like the 1st question is from soil mechanics, 2nd question from hydraulics, and then the 3rd question is project planning (construction). I'll appreciate your response/feedback with suggestion how you managed for 2nd case.  Thanks in advance. 

View attachment Civ-WRE-April-2015_Combined.pdf

"Back in my Day" (2011), before the NCEES AM syllabus notably changed, there were 8 questions from each of the 5 Civil disciplines.  On my exam, I don't remember if the order matched the syllabus but I do remember my topics were grouped.  8 Construction together, 8 Water together, etc.  That probably hardly answered your question, sorry. 

But, seriously, there is no need to worry about these things.  It is what it is.  It'll be the same for everyone.  With proper preparation, you'll do fine no matter what the question order.

Good luck.  And welcome to EB! 

Questions were randomly ordered when I took in Spring 2016. That doesn't mean you can't answer them in order. I've seen that test taking strategy used so that you can focus on one topic at a time. Idk how effective it is though. I personally prefer just skipping hard ones till after answering all the easier questions as there will be softballs in every civil discipline topic

I doubt they will follow the same sequence. I know for the PE exam they have multiple versions of the exam with the questions in different orders to prevent anyone from being able to copy. I would imagine the PE exam is the same way.

I feel like the questions were organized similarly to the NCEES specifications when I took the exam last October. They were somewhat grouped together. I skipped to the Geotech questions first and they were all towards the middle.

I think they're grouped together in the same order as they are in the exam specs. 

But, a question can be worded to sound like another topic. For example, one of the NCEES practice exams had an open channel problem worded to sound like a wastewater problem. When I was working this practice problem I fell for the trap and started to solve it like it was a wastewater mass balance type question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back