Questions about college and military

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharpimaging142

Reaction score
Hello all! I'll start by introducing myself. I'm Kris from San Diego, CA currently in the coast guard stationed in Wi. I did about 2.5-3 years community college in So Cal focused on transferring to a california university to study engineering. I basically got all of my math, physics, chemistry and general requirements out of the way. I was getting kinda wore out and depressed feeling like I wasnt getting anywhere in my life sitting in classes all day every day and wanted to get out and explore so I began the enlistment process for the USCG and dropped out. About the same time I had finally sworn in to the military I had gotten my Acceptance letter from UCSD to study Mechanical Engineering at their university (DOH!).

So I'm about 2 years into my first contract right now, getting ready to leave for 6 months of additional military schooling where I will be required to re-up another 2-4 years. After that I will be located within the US at a base, hopefully in california again (no deployments, no bs) perusing my coast guard career in aviation maintenance. When this time comes I would like to get back to school to finish out what I had started. I know it will take quite some time balancing a (more than) full time job and getting an engineering degree (Have not decided between Civil and Mechanical) but this is what I truly want in life and I cant wait to get started. While I wait I am currently trying to review/relearn all the math and sciences which I had picked up along the way. Its amazing how much you can forget in such a little amount of time lol.

This brings me to my question... What kind of schools can I attend (names, locations, etc) that will A. Accept my previous college credits, B. Be flexible with military (lock into degree programs, etc) *OPTIONAL-C. Offer distance, and/or online courses. D. What should I be looking for as far as accreditation, what is more universally accepted by employers, etc. - I had read that ABET is probably the most acceptable accreditation. E. What kind of hurdles can I expect trying to peruse this degree given my circumstance?

Also, any other ex-military folks here have any advice on how to get there and what I need to do?

I can't answer all your questions, but stick with ABET schools. It'll be helpful in the long run regarding licensure, and probably in transferring credits (I would think, no knowledge if true or not).

Best of luck.

Did you finish community college with your associates? If not, I would highly recommend finishing (sounds like you're pretty close). If not, schools can cherry pick all your classes for their core curriculum.

Good for you looking into finishing your degree while continuing to serve. It is a lot of work but also extremely rewarding - especially in engineering. Definitely stick with an ABET accredited school. Two that I know work well with military and are ABET accredited are Penn State Online and University of Missouri Science and Technology. But, you can google top online engineering programs and research what is best for you. There should be an education center on your base, especially one as large as San Diego and they can walk you through the process. Since you have not been in long enough to accrue your full post 9/11 GI Bill benefits you will have to ask if you can use some of it or have to wait. You can also use tuition assistance which is set amount of money that the military will provide you per fiscal year for your education. Ask the folks at the education center about the details but, in the Army you do owe 2 years of service from the last day of a class you took tuition assistance for. The best people to ask are those who work at the education center, it is their full time job to answer questions like yours.

Hello all and thanks for the replies! I did not get my associates, all that I was missing was physical education but my CC states that military basic training counts for those required credits so I've been in the process of getting in touch to see if they'll allow me to get my associates, especially given that I'm not in California anymore where the college is located.

My dad (prior navy enlisted gone officer after completing his own degree) recommended I do that same as far as getting in contact with a ESO or Education resource center. I hope my next unit has these available. My current ESO just left on orders to flight school and the nearest education resource center is at least 5 hours drive but I'm going to try to figure something out in that aspect.

I did a little googling on degrees, it's understandably very hard to find anything that isnt software or electrical related online due to the heavy lab workload. I understand that I can probably find some schools offering prereqs counting toward the degree but as stated I've already pretty much got those wrapped up. Do you think attending online drafting or CAD classes would be of any benefit toward earning my degree? I'm still "enrolled" in my old CC and I think they might have some CAD I can work on.

I assume you are prior army? What steps did you take to get where you are now? Were you enrolled while serving?

CAD is covered in freshmen year ME programs so at best you'll have one course complete.  I personally don't think doing CAD classes would be very helpful unless you want to become a Draftsman.  I'm not convinced with the quality of most online programs, particularly as an ME.  There are too many hands-on labs that are required and I'm not convinced an online program would cover those in the required depth.  

I know the Marine Corps had the MECEP program, not sure if there's something similar for you.

My brother looked into online schooling and couldn't find an ABET accredited one.  I personally don't see how that would work.  

Welcome to the board!

I'll offer a different option:

What I did (Army) was I just did my active duty time as quick as I could and then got out and hit school full time to catch up, including summer semester.  Hopefully you will have some GI Bill $$ (or whatever it is called these days) to live off of and not have to work so much. In all honesty I think this route is the quickest path to graduating.  However if you've got kids to support or family needs you may not be able to do this option.  But can you ETS after 4 years and not sign up for any extra contract time?

When I got out of active duty (I was still in the reserves) but there was a large air force base close by to our college and a lot of  service members who worked the night shift took early morning classes.  We would never have that kind of scheduling flexibility in the army to make regular classes, but they told me that when you went to college while on active duty it was "free" i.e. paid for by Uncle Sam- so I can see why they went that route!

Coast Guard does things a little differently than other services. I know that other branches like USMC (based on brothers experience) send you to your MOS (or we call it a "rate) school right out of basic training and infantry training or whatever else you do out of basic. For the Coast Guard, you graduate bootcamp and immediate get shipped off to a unit without a MOS or rate as we call it. Then after you wait however long the MOS requires based on occupancy (in my case 2 years now), you get sent to MOS "A" school where before completion you are REQUIRED to add an additional few years to your contract so they're not losing money training you then you get out right away.

The rate I'm going to school for is Aviation Maintenance Technician, so I'm hoping that will somewhat teach me a little more about mechanics and give me a few credits toward a degree in mechanical engineering if I choose that path.

I was looking at finding a way to lateral into the reserves at least until I finish school but I dont think they will just let me "switch" but I dont know a whole lot about that.

On a side note, if say I wanted to get into something like yacht or shipbuilding, where would I turn in that aspect? I've never really heard of marine engineering or anything of that nature before. I know that civil engineering branches off into things like environmental which I would assume would give you better education directed toward buoyancy, fluid dynamics, keeping things afloat, etc. but this is just my best, out of my a$$ guess. Would that be correct or does boat/ship/sub engineering come from something like mechanical engineering? I'm speaking in terms of hull and structure, not so much engines, electronics, etc.

Thanks!

Marine Engineering is very broad.  Mechanicals can work in ship fluid systems - think potable water system sizing, AFFF, CMWS etc. but can also be lead engineers in HVAC, shaft design, vibration, propulsion (turbines), power piping systems, and structural design.

Most Civils in Marine Engineering end up doing Structural Engineering. 

Buoyancy, draft etc. is typically left to Nav. Architects.

Isn't "Naval Architecture" the boat design -type degree?  Pretty specialized, and pretty rare.

I'd say go for a mechanical engineering degree, based on all of your expressed interests.  You work experience in the USCG could maybe help you get a job in a more specialized industry, like ship building.  I have a friend who is retired Navy enlisted, who used his GI Bill to get a mechanical engineering degree.  His first job was working on shipboard piping at a Navy shipyard, which was strongly influenced by his previous experience (now he's a stay-at-home Dad).  

I kind of doubt you'll get any credit for your work experience in aviation maintenance, and you wouldn't want to - an engineering bachelor's degree is a pretty standardized thing, and has little to do with actual hands-on work.  Your job experience will be very beneficial when looking for a job, though - it will set you apart from new grads with no experience.  

If you are interested more in making money, i suggest sticking to trade.

Most trades make more money than the typical engineer. And there's the upside that you control your own business expenses so you pay lower taxes.

If you are interested more in making money, i suggest sticking to trade.

Most trades make more money than the typical engineer. And there's the upside that you control your own business expenses so you pay lower taxes.
Great point - a lot of millennials don't want to get their hands dirty and the market is going to shift accordingly. You may be better of sticking to a trade skill if it interests you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back