What Type Of Engineer Should I Be???

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Maker

Reaction score
Hello, I am The Maker.
I am here because I want professional feedback on my work. I have been building things with K'NEX and popsicle sticks since I was little and as a future engineer, I wanted real engineers to evaluate my potential. Please be honest, I am trying to improve my engineering. You may have seen my introductory post.

This is me being honest.  If you want clicks for your YouTube videos, post them on Facebook.  Spamming them here will get you no bonus points.

Many people on this board built things with Legos, Lincoln Logs, K'Nex, popsicle sticks, etc. when they were little.  That shows a propensity towards engineering, but it does not make you an engineer.  The reality of engineering school, and depending on chosen profession, actual engineering work seldom live up to the expectations of budding engineering students.  There is a lot of math and abstract thinking involved in becoming prepared to build real-life structures that people depend on to not kill them.  

If you like building buildings, bridges, or infrastructure, Civil Engineering may be your path.  If you like building machines (like roller coasters), Mechanical Engineering may be more fitting.

This is me being honest.  If you want clicks for your YouTube videos, post them on Facebook.  Spamming them here will get you no bonus points.

Many people on this board built things with Legos, Lincoln Logs, K'Nex, popsicle sticks, etc. when they were little.  That shows a propensity towards engineering, but it does not make you an engineer.  The reality of engineering school, and depending on chosen profession, actual engineering work seldom live up to the expectations of budding engineering students.  There is a lot of math and abstract thinking involved in becoming prepared to build real-life structures that people depend on to not kill them.  

If you like building buildings, bridges, or infrastructure, Civil Engineering may be your path.  If you like building machines (like roller coasters), Mechanical Engineering may be more fitting.
I also like chemistry. Do you think that chemical engineering would be a good path?

200_s.gif

Hello, I am The MakerBecause of recent constructive feedback, I have decided to make another video. This video is of a project that I completed in the fifth grade that is also made out of popsicle sticks. Enjoy!

No I am not spamming. I accidentally double posted something earlier, and I apologize for that. I posted this last video because it is new and reflects a different type of engineering that I do. I am here because I want your feedback.

You are spamming, and it will get you banned here.  Like I said earlier, if you have actual engineering related questions, we can be helpful.  If you keep spamming your YouTube videos to get views, we will not be helpful.

:popcorn:

The videos are cool. But that's not engineering.  Architects build models all the time. But they are NOT engineers.

See if you can build that same ship out of concrete and make it float.
That'd be easy...if you were floating it in mercury.  I've seen concrete canoes, but just about any other type of concrete boat would have a hard time floating on water.

If you think building models out of legos and popsicle sticks is engineering, you are going to have a short career due to boredom.

lets give the new poster the benefit of the doubt that he is a kid and not be quite so rough on the guy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool video.  thanks for sharing.

If you think building models out of legos and popsicle sticks is engineering, you are going to have a short career due to boredom.
I just had a conversation this morning with my son about how to get a job as a lego architect.  I gotta imagine it's pretty competitive, so I don't know if I could make a career out of it.  But boring??  I could make models all day.

Cool video.  thanks for sharing.
2 hours ago, Ken PE 3.0 said: If you think building models out of legos and popsicle sticks is engineering, you are going to have a short career due to boredom.
I just had a conversation this morning with my son about how to get a job as a lego architect.  I gotta imagine it's pretty competitive, so I don't know if I could make a career out of it.  But boring??  I could make models all day.
My reference is that what 'engineering' is and what college and high schoolers think it is are 2 completely different things. I could play with legos all day and night, of course after 3 meetings, 50 emails and a group of incompetent personnel working on my projects.

Back