CA Surveying Exam - Suggestions needed

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoCalBound

Reaction score
Hi there,

I wanted to get the opinions of some experienced forum members. While studying for the CA Surveying exam, I have done some sample tests and found out something rather interesting. For the questions with numbers in them, i.e., requiring number crunching, calculation, etc., I do very well (over 95% correct).

However, for the rest of the questions which are text based, no numbers, I am around 50% correct. I have some reasoning for this but want to hear what you guys think of it and how it could be improved.

My theory is that, there can only be a limited number of types of numerical questions, which can all be mastered. However, text based/knowledge based questions can be rather infinite. They seem to test your surveying background rather than your study skills. If you have the appropriate background, the question is a 20-second question. If you don't, it is either 3 mins of searching/thinking and the result is 75% incorrect.

Is there a way to do better at this? Suggest any material to read, etc? It almost looks like it is hit or miss and depends on one's luck to see how many of the 55 questions are like this.

thanks...

Hi there,

I wanted to get the opinions of some experienced forum members. While studying for the CA Surveying exam, I have done some sample tests and found out something rather interesting. For the questions with numbers in them, i.e., requiring number crunching, calculation, etc., I do very well (over 95% correct).

However, for the rest of the questions which are text based, no numbers, I am around 50% correct. I have some reasoning for this but want to hear what you guys think of it and how it could be improved.

My theory is that, there can only be a limited number of types of numerical questions, which can all be mastered. However, text based/knowledge based questions can be rather infinite. They seem to test your surveying background rather than your study skills. If you have the appropriate background, the question is a 20-second question. If you don't, it is either 3 mins of searching/thinking and the result is 75% incorrect.

Is there a way to do better at this? Suggest any material to read, etc? It almost looks like it is hit or miss and depends on one's luck to see how many of the 55 questions are like this.

thanks...
The text based questions are generally testing your concepts. They can be confusing and most of the the time they are set that way. The only way to do better in them is to study a survey text book or have practical experience with surveying. If you don't have time for either of them, then it is best to just read whatever material you have and go with it. So if you concentrate on getting your numerical questions correct, then you should pass.

For example, let us consider that there are 15 text questions and 40 numerical questions. You are able to complete 30 of the numerical questions and guess the rest of them. The chances of getting the guesses correct is 25%. Using the other percentages you used, the expected number of questions that you can answer correctly is 0.5*15+.75*30+.25*10 = 32 (rounded down). 58% is marginal.

However, if you can get 35 of the numerical questions correct, your expected correct answers become  0.5*15+.75*35+.25*5 = 35. A 63% is a reasonably good grade. See how many text questions are there in a typical test and you should have a feel how much you need to concentrate on them.

Good luck.

Thanks Maji. I dont have Surveying background so I guess I will have to keep reading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The text based questions are generally testing your concepts. They can be confusing and most of the the time they are set that way...
I just felt that it was important to point out that the questions on the exam, text or numerical, are not in any way intended to be confusing to the examinee.  While sometimes, typos or errors occur, a large amount of effort is made to avoid causing any confusion to the examinees.  Simply put, the psychometricians involved in the development wouldn't allow the question to be written that way.

It's been my observation that the more confusing the question appears, the less experience the examinee has with the underlying concept.  It is all about the experience and preparation leading up to the exam.

Your observation must be true because I also find that at least half of the text based questions are either confusing or flat out tricky. But again, I have not taken the actual exam, I am talking about the sample exam questions I have seen so far.

Numerical questions are harder to make confusing than the text based ones in my opinion. There was actually one question I came across, which says what types of work can an engineer (post 1982) solicit? I picked the ones he can legally do. My answer is wrong, correct answer is all of them, because apparently anyone can solicit anything as long as they don't do it themselves.

So, what knowledge does this question test? It is just pure trickery to test the meaning of "soliciting".

Again, this is not a real question, it is a sample exam question...

Your observation must be true because I also find that at least half of the text based questions are either confusing or flat out tricky. But again, I have not taken the actual exam, I am talking about the sample exam questions I have seen so far.

Numerical questions are harder to make confusing than the text based ones in my opinion. There was actually one question I came across, which says what types of work can an engineer (post 1982) solicit? I picked the ones he can legally do. My answer is wrong, correct answer is all of them, because apparently anyone can solicit anything as long as they don't do it themselves.

So, what knowledge does this question test? It is just pure trickery to test the meaning of "soliciting".

Again, this is not a real question, it is a sample exam question...
I was referring to those types of questions... I can't state questions here because of the non-disclosure agreement, but I remember clearly one question in the actual exam that was really confusing. I hear what CAPLS is saying, but I respectfully disagree with him in this regard. 

I think you all have valid points.  While there will always be a small handful of questions that an examinee might find too difficult or possibly too confusing to confidently answer correctly, at the end of the day, if you are properly prepared, you'll pass the exam.  So, it's my advice to not get bogged down worrying about the possibility of receiving this question or that question - just study your tushy off, and you'll be prepared to answer enough questions to pass.  My 2 cents.  ;)  

Does anyone have any pdf notes from a prep course or anything to help prepare for the CA surveying exam? I bought the 120 solved problems book, but was hoping to find some good notes to go through.

Does anyone have any pdf notes from a prep course or anything to help prepare for the CA surveying exam? I bought the 120 solved problems book, but was hoping to find some good notes to go through.
You bumped three threads to ask for free class notes.  These class notes you ask for come from the school/instructors and are given to students who paid for the class.  They are not free to pass around the internet.  Take a class if you feel it will help you.  EET is good. 

13 hours ago, athomp said: Does anyone have any pdf notes from a prep course or anything to help prepare for the CA surveying exam? I bought the 120 solved problems book, but was hoping to find some good notes to go through.
You bumped three threads to ask for free class notes.  These class notes you ask for come from the school/instructors and are given to students who paid for the class.  They are not free to pass around the internet.  Take a class if you feel it will help you.  EET is good. 
It may be too late but I suggest you buy Mansour's Surveying book and start reading asap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back