Dear HVAC designers

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know... the sound of a Harrier Jet overhead can really ruin the mood...

If I've indulged in the musical fruit, others should appreciate the resultant music.

is that really something that the HVAC folks "design"?  or more like something that gets bought at a store and installed?

I just figured it would be some sort of building code. i.e. for a XX stall bathroom in a XX facility use minimum XX "fart fan"

I just figured it would be some sort of building code. i.e. for a XX stall bathroom in a XX facility use minimum XX "fart fan"
Building codes may be at the root of the issue.  But, as you note, they likely read Minimum...

When I "designed" the renovation of my last house, i put in oversized bathroom fans and it was worth it!

LOL.  Well, I don't live there anymore, and my more standard American-style home now has more standard, American-style vent fans int he bathroom.  It takes a looooong time to clear the stench.

yeah you defin have to buy the $150 dollar one for it to "really" work. the cheap builders grade ones are fairly worthless.. sort of like the low flow toilets..

yeah you defin have to buy the $150 dollar one for it to "really" work. the cheap builders grade ones are fairly worthless.. sort of like the low flow toilets..
My cheap builder grade is so bad, that it can't even spin up until full power unless you pull the grate off for some reason, at which point it speeds up to full tilt (and can stay there if you put the cover back on).  Of course that's all moot, because the asshole builders didn't duct it out of the soffits, just TO the soffits, so if its cold outside, the moisture condenses, accumulates, and then runs down the soffit onto the drywall and leaks.

The IMC calls for 50 or 70 CFM per fixture depending on use.  I used to design the fans to 75 CFM per fixture or 2 ACH per hour, whichever was greater.

Code used to require 2cfm/SF, but now its about 70cfm per potty/urinal.  Not sure how they came to either of those values, but 2cfm/SF could sometimes wreak havoc on building air balance in the old days if you had large restroom groups.  Not to mention your throwing perfectly conditioned air outside.

Back