History of PE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chunhui Jiang

Reaction score
I am very curious about the history of PE, when did United States create the PE exam and licensed engineer title?

What is the percentage of PE among all the people working in engineering field? It is difficult to calculate, as one engineer could become a PE in several states, and I found a macro data which is around 20%

Any friends also interested in these questions?

I am very curious about the history of PE, when did United States create the PE exam and licensed engineer title?

What is the percentage of PE among all the people working in engineering field? It is difficult to calculate, as one engineer could become a PE in several states, and I found a macro data which is around 20%

Any friends also interested in these questions?
There should have been a question mark in your title.  I thought I was going to come into this thread and you were going to give us the history.  :p  

my grandfather graduated from Ga Tech in the early 40's. He didn't have to take an exam they just basically gave them the license after they graduated..

Well, if you must know: It all started in a little town in western Massachusetts....

an old timer here at my firm said his exam wasnt even multiple choice! can you imagine that?
Actually in the old "essay" format with just a few problems and you had to show all your work, you were a lot more likely to get partial credit and did not have to get the exact answer like you do in a multiple choice test.

Actually in the old "essay" format with just a few problems and you had to show all your work, you were a lot more likely to get partial credit and did not have to get the exact answer like you do in a multiple choice test.
True, and I know at least two people that contested their near-passing score, got a few more points after the review, and then passed. 

The afternoon portion of my EIT/FE exam was essay in April 2000.  
Wow, I just missed it.  I took mine in Oct 2001.  Mine was all MC. 

I got to bring my own pencil and my own calculator (TI-89) which I think was the last administration before they started handing out pencils and required only NCEES-approved calculators.

my grandfather graduated from Ga Tech in the early 40's. He didn't have to take an exam they just basically gave them the license after they graduated..
Maybe the students must pass some exam which like our PE exam before graduation that time.

The world of PE's didn't thrive in the 21st Century until EB.com was created. It was a revolutionary concept: a forum dedicated to the best and highest standards of trolling in any online forum. This mission continues today and we are the custodians of its care and continuance.
Thanks

Back