BPELSG's 3 Sample CBT Exam Questions (Seismic)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptatohed

Licenced to Spell
Reaction score
Ok, while I love Survey, I lost probably 95% of all the stuff I learned about Seismic.   :wacko:    So, I am not even going to attempt to answer these three questions.  But, since I started a similar Survey thread, I figured it'd only be fair to start a Seismic version of the thread.  But, again, you guys are on your own.  ;) What answers do you get for these three practice questions?

http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/sample_seismic_questions.pdf 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey ptatohead, here's the answers I have:

1.) B

2.) D

3.) A , C, and D? I have a handout that specifies what activities of masonry construction require special inspection, and I feel like all of these could apply.

Oops, not able to edit, but I meant to put "B" for question 1 (connection to vertical elements require 1.25 factor)

Edit: Correction made

Very nice, thanks EG.  Want me to edit your post #2 and delete #3? 

As for #3, the answer should be found in the Special Inspection section of the CBC/IBC.  Did you check that section (not just your handout)?

Anyone else? 

Hi ptatohed, yes if you could edit my post #2 I would greatly appreciate it.

For #3, I first checked IBC Sec. 1705.4 (my "handout" haha), but it was vague about which specific items need inspection. Then I checked TMS 402/602 and "grout space prior to grouting" is listed as an item for continuous inspection, but so is "welding of reinforcement". That's why I chose A & C as possible answers.

Also, IBC 1705.4.2 says "special inspection shall be performed...for vertical masonry foundation elements". I guessed that means the reinforcing steel in the footing needs special inspection as well, which is why I also chose Answer D. Of course, I could be interpreting the tables wrong!

Ok, edit made.

I think my CBC is the 2010 version but I'll check in there when I get a chance. 

Ok, so I whipped out my 2010 CBC to try and answer sample question #3.  I looked at the inspection requirements in the Masonry tables (Tables 1704.5.1 and 1704.5.3 in my 2010).  I assume the question is referring to continuous inspection, not periodic inspection since the question states that the inspector is required to be present during the placement.  The only activity I can see listed in the table that requires continuous inspection is the placement of grout.  So, answer A?

Example No. 3

A one-story, fully grouted masonry wall supported by a reinforced concrete footing is under construction.  Assume concrete strength (f 'c) is 2,500 psi and masonry strength (f 'm) is 1,800 psi.  The presence of a special inspector is required during the placement of

A. grout

B. masonry units

C. reinforcement in the wall

D. reinforcing steel in the footing  

Hey ptatohed, I agree with you, if there’s only one correct answer, then I would go with A (grout inspection) as well. However, the one part of the IBC that still confuses me is IBC 1705.4.2 (1704.11 in the 2009/2010 IBC), which states that “special inspection shall be performed…vertical masonry foundation elements.” I was thinking this includes the footing reinforcement.

Also, the 2010 IBC includes the tables you mentioned, but the 2015 IBC no longer includes them. Looks like the tables are only in TMS 402/602 now.

Hey ptatohed, I agree with you, if there’s only one correct answer, then I would go with A (grout inspection) as well. However, the one part of the IBC that still confuses me is IBC 1705.4.2 (1704.11 in the 2009/2010 IBC), which states that “special inspection shall be performed…vertical masonry foundation elements.” I was thinking this includes the footing reinforcement.

Also, the 2010 IBC includes the tables you mentioned, but the 2015 IBC no longer includes them. Looks like the tables are only in TMS 402/602 now.
Thanks EG.  I don't have my CBC with me, in 1705.4.2 regarding vert foundation elements, does it distinguish between periodic and continuous inspection? 

Thanks EG.  I don't have my CBC with me, in 1705.4.2 regarding vert foundation elements, does it distinguish between periodic and continuous inspection? 
No, the CBC doesn't distinguish between either inspection types required. 

I spoke with my seismic class instructor about this problem and he agrees it is also 'A' - special inspection for grout placement.

I say B, D, A. Looks like we agree on #1 and #2. A for #3 because of the language "is required during the placement of".

You don't need an inspector there during the reinforcement work. They come and inspect periodically during the assembly of rebar work and prior to placing concrete so C and D don't apply. Placement of masonry units... they say it's a fully grouted masonry wall so where are they finding those CMUs all of a sudden. Grouted would be the same as a slurry wall, cutoff wall etc... so poured in a form with the prior inspected rebar work in between. Also, I've never seen an inspector watch people put up CMUs. So the last option is the grout. Anytime concrete is being placed, an inspector has to be there and they collect samples for strength testing. So, code aside, that's the likely answer. They have to be there "during" the placement.

Back