SE Reference Manual vs Structural Depth Reference Manual

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowerStroke79_PE

Reaction score
So I bought the Structural Engineering Reference Manual (SE Exam), and not the Structural Depth Manual (PE Exam). I've compared table of contents and have seen the obvious differences. However, its not the first time I take the PE (structural depth) exam, and I really want to optimize my study time and material.  I plan to study the similar items from the SE manual and PE manual, but I just get a feeling everything in the PE manual is in the SE manual almost to every word. I just can't be sure. Any thoughts? 

Generally speaking, the test problems in the afternoon PE-Civil STR exam were easier (in my session) than what is reviewed in the SERM. That being said, if you study and understand the SERM you will be well prepared for the exam. I also found the CERM matched the PE Civil STR difficulty.

Generally speaking, the test problems in the afternoon PE-Civil STR exam were easier (in my session) than what is reviewed in the SERM. That being said, if you study and understand the SERM you will be well prepared for the exam. I also found the CERM matched the PE Civil STR difficulty.
Thanks for the reply. I decided to work with SERM. I have the CERM as well and have been working on it. I have recently just started with SERM. 

Thanks for the reply. I decided to work with SERM. I have the CERM as well and have been working on it. I have recently just started with SERM. 
good idea. civil was a cakewalk for me, probably because i studied off CERM and SERM. 

I do recommend taking SE right after. I made the mistake of not pursuing it (mostly because i couldn't afford the codes)

good idea. civil was a cakewalk for me, probably because i studied off CERM and SERM. 

I do recommend taking SE right after. I made the mistake of not pursuing it (mostly because i couldn't afford the codes)
Yea, assuming I pass this time around, i will immediately begin studying for SE. I am combining study material between EET, CEERM and SERM. A lot of it is very similar, but the binders are overwhelming to me when taking the exam. I am attempting to create a more compact equation, "go to" ,1 inch binder to use along with the references. I really need to get past this. I have 25 problems left to on the 6 minute Solutions for Civil PE Exam Structural Depth Problems. I feel it has been very helpful with the exception of a couple problems that are waaaay to long for PE exam. 

Back