what is YOUR sign convention in Unbalanced Moments (Moment Distribution Method)?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowerStroke79_PE

Reaction score
So working out moment distribution problems, I find not much explanation is given on sign convention. Something on my approach is off. When I use FEMs on a joint, to me, counterclockwise is negative, and clockwise is positive. However, If my adding of these positive and negative moments gives me a positive moment, then the correct answer is a negative, and vice versa. Is it that after adding the FEMs, by their respective sings, the actual unbalanced moment applied in the distributive moment table is of the opposite sign? Hopefully ya'll don't mind me asking this question. In particular I am looking at example 507 in NCEES PE Structural Practice Exam, and problem 6 in Six Minute Solutions for Civil PE Exam (Structural Depth Problems) in the Analysis of Structures chapter. 

Thanks, 

As long as you are consistent on what direction is positive or negative when solving it should not affect the answer.

As long as you are consistent on what direction is positive or negative when solving it should not affect the answer.
My confusion is with the words "unbalanced moment". The solution takes the counter clockwise FEM minus the clockwise FEM, getting a positive result. Now of course, the answers are all positive and I would naturally go with the flow and select the correct answer numerically. However, to me the end result should be negative, and while not for this question, if I was to continue balancing within the table I would then end up with opposite signs than those of the problems approach. Maybe it still wouldn't matter and the final moment within their table would be in the answer selection with out a positive/negative sign.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it! 

Back