Building a garage

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodal

Reaction score
I've finally got the coin to build a detached garage/shop/gym (or at least the bank will loan me enough now).  Its going to be about 25'x44' with 1/3 being a gym and the rest a shop/garage.  I've put way too much time into designing this thing because I'm having to move every utility that serves my house to do it plus adding propane, but was wondering if ya'll had any cool ideas for what you have done to or want to do to a garage.  

Room for a lift both in terms of floor space and roof trusses.  Be sure to kick walls out far enough so that tool boxes and shelving will not intrude into garage door openings.  Separate "stall" on exterior for large air compressor if possible - saves floor space and noise.  LED lighting everywhere you can fit a fixture.  And find a good contractor for epoxy floors!

How's the soil conditions in Tennessee? Have you looked into putting in an underground pit so that you could work underneath the car easily? I've seen several people do that in New Jersey and also saw someone put in a full basement so they can have a golf simulator under the garage.

Power outlets...lots of outlets.  And a big-ass, hard-wired backup genset.  Just because the power is out does not mean that the kegarator can go off-line.  

And at least a pair of 220v outlets.

And if we're going full on man cave vibe, I'm voting for a mid-90's nude pinup calendar/posters.

I've actually considered leaving a portion of the ceiling out in the gym to have a rope climb area.  I've also been looking at putting in rock climbing grips up one wall, across the ceiling and down another.  A urinal is a must and I've made sure a future Challenger will fit inside with enough room to walk around.

cff167961ae08b39280d6551b77a5a5b.jpg

Our sherif just got one of these hellcats.

one thing I would truly want to do if I built a garage from scratch is build some custom drawers (almost like kitchen drawers) under the work bench instead of paying the big money for a tool box (that usually takes up a ton of space).

Awesome guys.  Hadn't thought of the urinal or speakers.  I told the wife last night to be on the look out for some garage sale furniture that we can steal some drawers from for this reason.  That might be a pipe dream though.

I did have a urinal in my basement of my first house I bought. My FIL was rebuilding  a plant and had some extra so I hooked it up. It was a great conversation piece, and since it was just "pee" I just tied it into a French drain system that ran to the back yard.  (but it did have a water supply)  needless to say when we sold the house the realtor had a cat about it and I unhooked it... but man those were some great years :(    ;)

Back