Been Lurking; want to take the PE in April

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x5xdrive

Reaction score
Hi Everybody,

I have been approved to take my PE (the notice came quite late from the board; las week). I was debating taking the PE in April or waiting for October. 2017.

I want to take a prep course (EET from what I've read on the forums). I did email them last week but I haven't received a reply as yet.  From what I've read here, thats pretty normal. Since I am in NYC, I should purchase the Webinar and I'll have access to all the material for studying, right?

I am taking the Transportation Depth for the PE. I wanted to know, if I attempt the PE in April and I don't pass, will I be able to register for it in October or will the results not come out in-time?

Any other direction will help from this board. Thank you.

The April results will be posted before the deadline to register for the October exam passes.

Thank you.

Just purchased the EET Breath and Depth On-Demand courses. Having trouble accessing their AdobeConnect website but hopefully will have that resolved soon.

Thank you.

Just purchased the EET Breath and Depth On-Demand courses. Having trouble accessing their AdobeConnect website but hopefully will have that resolved soon.
You should call/e-mail them. Did you try using a different web browser?

Also check your browser settings in case the browser is treating it as a pop-up and stopping it from opening, of if you need to download a new version of flash player.

Hi Everybody,

I've been reviewing the EET Course (Webinar Version) and it seems great so far. I am still on the Breath portion doing the Geometry section. I started studying a bit late because I choose to take the PE in April a bit late.  I am trying to study everyday with full weekends as well. Can somebody list out all the references they are taking besides the EET binder? I am taking the Transportation depth.

I am hoping to catch up a week or two. The realization hits fast that for every hour, it takes 2-3 hours to learn.

Thanks.

Hi Everybody,

I've been reviewing the EET Course (Webinar Version) and it seems great so far. I am still on the Breath portion doing the Geometry section. I started studying a bit late because I choose to take the PE in April a bit late.  I am trying to study everyday with full weekends as well. Can somebody list out all the references they are taking besides the EET binder? I am taking the Transportation depth.

I am hoping to catch up a week or two. The realization hits fast that for every hour, it takes 2-3 hours to learn.

Thanks.
I strongly suggest you bring ALL of the references that NCEES has listed in the Transpo Exam Curriculum. Spending a little bit more now for the references is better than paying for the exam again and kicking yourself endlessly for not bringing a reference you needed.

I strongly suggest you bring ALL of the references that NCEES has listed in the Transpo Exam Curriculum. Spending a little bit more now for the references is better than paying for the exam again and kicking yourself endlessly for not bringing a reference you needed.
Yes, I definitely  plan on bringing all the suggested material for the Depth. I should have been clearer; I was asking about the Breath. Thanks.

Yes, I definitely  plan on bringing all the suggested material for the Depth. I should have been clearer; I was asking about the Breath. Thanks.
I don't know anyone who has brought all of the NCEES-listed Transpo depth references.  I know I didn't.  Especially the pavement books. 

I don't know anyone who has brought all of the NCEES-listed Transpo depth references.  I know I didn't.  Especially the pavement books. 
I think that I brought all but one of the suggested references, but yes the one I did not bring was one of the pavement books.

Keep in mind, there is a point of diminishing returns.  If you are going to get every listed book, then you therefore need to have a decent grasp of the content and layout of each book, right?  Otherwise, there is no point in buying/bringing it.  Spending extensive valuable study time on one reference can be a big time sap.  Take advantage of good PE review material.  They did the hard part for you of going through the numerous references/standards and extracting out and summarizing the material you'll likely need.  Yes there could always be that one easy look-up question that was in ,say, the AASHTO Mechanistic-Empirical Pavement Design Guide: A Manual of Practice that may not be in your PE review material but to buy and learn 11 different references on an 'if' has to be weighed.  My humble advice is to secure the GDHS, RDG, maybe the HSM, HCM, and the MUTCD.  The others are optional in my opinion but the final call is each examinee's of course.       

Keep in mind, there is a point of diminishing returns.  If you are going to get every listed book, then you therefore need to have a decent grasp of the content and layout of each book, right?  Otherwise, there is no point in buying/bringing it.  Spending extensive valuable study time on one reference can be a big time sap.  Take advantage of good PE review material.  They did the hard part for you of going through the numerous references/standards and extracting out and summarizing the material you'll likely need.  Yes there could always be that one easy look-up question that was in ,say, the AASHTO Mechanistic-Empirical Pavement Design Guide: A Manual of Practice that may not be in your PE review material but to buy and learn 11 different references on an 'if' has to be weighed.  My humble advice is to secure the GDHS, RDG, maybe the HSM, HCM, and the MUTCD.  The others are optional in my opinion but the final call is each examinee's of course.       
I completely agree. I did spend a lot of time cross referencing what was provided by EET to whatever reference it came from and then did some further reading on whatever topic that may be.

I had always been told to bring the asphalt pavement design textbook and brought it (both times) and didn't use it.

I did bring the ITE Transportation Planning Manual and found it useful for 2 questions. (used it without ever opening it before the exam)

If you know how to do the paving design problems EET gives you, you have a 99.9% chance of answering the paving problems tested correctly, unless you get something way out of left field like I did, which I still haven't found the answer to, 2 years later.

Hi, just counting the days. Still trying to catch up to the EET videos ( I should be able to by next Wednesday). Did anybody here create a cheat sheet for the EET binders? If so, can somebody share their approach. I am thinking of doing that in addition to labeling the binder with stickies. Thanks.

I didn't bother with tabbing anything. I just made sure I was familiar with where everything was in the binder. They are organized well enough that it is easy to do. I did create a second binder of easy things like conversion factors, simple geometry formulas, etc in case I was having a brain fart on something simple like square feet in an acre.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I didn't bother with tabbing anything. I just made sure I was familiar with where everything was in the binder. They are organized well enough that it is easy to do. I did create a second binder of easy things like conversion factors, simple geometry formulas, etc in case I was having a brain fart on something simple like square feet in an acre.

Thats what I was thinking of doing as well, making a sheet with all the relevant conversions.  Did you find that the problems in the EET binder were a guide for solving problems on the exam (in terms of being a step-by-step guide)?

Yes along with problems on the practice exams.

Great...Thank you!

I still have a couple of sections to cover in the depth. I'm on Section 9 (of 15): Signal Warrents. I am hoping to finish by next Tuesday and start practicing. It never seems like you have enough days to cover the material.

Back