Applying for Civil Engineering Jobs - I feel I'm speaking to walls while filling in applications

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harshitha

Reaction score
Hello All,

As the title states I am a Civil Engineer currently seeking job. I completed my Bachelors in Civil Engineering from India and my Master's from London. I have more than 2 years of work experience in Dubai. I got married a year back and came leaving my job behind assuming there would be much more opportunities to learn in the field of Civil Engineering. I was waiting for my Employment Authorization in USA  until now. As soon as I got it, I started applying for jobs. I have applied for around 200 entry level openings. Until now not a single email other than automated responses stating 'Thank You for your Application'. I take so much interest and try to express my enthusiasm and dedication to work in any firm I want to apply. But end of the day I feel I was speaking to walls and nobody to hear me. I don't know a single Civil Engineer in the country to guide me. I see Civil Engineers doing Software Engineering jobs. I feel so demotivating. I'm worried that my passion of being a Civil Engineer is burning to ashes. I know getting a job is not that easy. But I really don't know what to do. I feel like lost in the desert. 

Can anybody guide me on what can I do to get a Civil Engineering Job? I appreciate the time you have taken to read what I feel. I have also attached my CV. Kindly guide me if it is okay. Does it work here if I walk in Door to Door and speak with Company Recruiters?

View attachment HARSHITHA LUNKAPPA - CV.docx

There are people here who are really good with resume advice.  I'm sure they'll be happy to help.  You might want to redact some of your personal information though. 

Hang in there. The first job after school is the hardest to get. I was working 2 job scrubbing toilets for 15 months after I finished grad school. I eventually found something and have my PE now. Keep applying. You'll find something soon.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

See if you can give the FE exam asap. If you cannot take it in CA, look at taking it in other states. Some states may allow you to take the FE exam even though you don't have an US degree. Truthfully, it is difficult for companies here to judge your experience based on just overseas education and work, so don't lose hope. Keep on trying and you will get rewarded.

Best of luck.

Thank you so much for taking your time in replying me. I feel better to see someone hearing me. I will consider and implement your advice's. Hoping for the best. 

I have my bachelor from Iraq and masters from Malaysia. I passed the FE exam and had courses on PMP and working towards both PMP and PE certificate. I got a drafting job opportunity over a year and now I'm seeking an EIT job opportunity. I had applied for thousand and I'm willing to relocate and still nothing more than two interviews. keep trying my friend, this is life what to do... 

There will be two reason if you are not getting job in civil engineering field

1. you will not be have  knowledge in civil field.

2. whatever salary they will be providing that you don't want I mean to say you salary expectation will be more.

If you have don't have that much knowledege how much company want so apply in small construction company in civil department for getting experience and if you dont have knowledege  about How to negotiation salary So please find here some tips for salary negotiation

As others have mentioned, definitely take the FE.  During the application process you will need to have your BS and graduate work evaluated by NCEES which is a very important step.  One of my employees who is a new grad very similar to you - bachelors from India, MS from USA  - just went through this and even with the MS his coursework fell short due to missing some key classes in the India BS.  He ended up doing night classes at the local community college to correct that and is now taking the FE.

When applying to jobs after this you should definitely let the employer know up front that you have gone through the degree evaluation once you have it.  That can be a big sticking point for US firms hiring, since it could potentially lead to delays in you getting your PE or possible costs in helping you do extra coursework.  Showing that you took the time to get it done and essentially that you are 'low risk' will help you.

Hi All, I need to know if exist any company that offer jobs for international engineers ?

There are a great many organizations those are giving Civil engineer occupations. Be that as it may, you need to qualify their qualification criteria and prerequisites. Aside from these, you have to refresh your resume in various occupation entryway destinations or you may take after various freelancing sites or else you get in touch with a portion of the managed service providers to land the reasonable positions.

Back