General Notes into AutoCAD or Revit

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCurrz1016

Reaction score
Background:  At my company, we keep our general notes master file in a Microsoft Word Document and we do all of our editing of the notes in Word (using macros, etc.) because it is faster than inside of AutoCAD/Revit.  Then, we have to import these notes into AutoCAD or Revit, which blows away all of the formatting that comes along with the Microsoft Word document (indents, upper/lower case, bold, etc.).  In the past, we have tried keeping our master file in an AutoCAD format instead of Word, but some of the "more experienced" engineers in the office aren't able to use AutoCAD, so that didn't work.  

Has anyone come up with a good workflow to efficiently import large bodies of text (general notes) into either AutoCAD or Revit without taking the time to re-format the whole sheet line by line once it is imported?  Thank you!

-Tom

Tom,

So, are you trying to simply insert the Word doc contents into the drawing or are you trying to link the two, almost like an xref, whereas when someone edits the Word doc notes, the notes in ACAD will update as well? 

If it is a one time insertion, you can copy your Word doc contents to your clipboard, and then paste into an Mtext editor in ACAD.  I tried this and it retained my formatting. 

If you are trying to link the two like an xref, I think (but am not totally sure) that you can insert the Word doc as an OLE Object.  Use Insert --> OLE Object or type insertobj at the command line.  Follow the prompts for inserting an MS Word doc.  If this doesn't act as an xref, let me know, and I'll play with it some more.  At the very least, the OLE object should keep your formatting 100%.

Last edited by a moderator:
Revit is much more problematic than cadd. We just got revit 2017 LT due to the formatting issues with notes. Revit 2017 is much improved and makes the process quicker and cleaner. Revit 2016 was horrible with number formatting, tabs, spaces, and column widths. 2017 is the way to go.

Revit is much more problematic than cadd. We just got revit 2017 LT due to the formatting issues with notes. Revit 2017 is much improved and makes the process quicker and cleaner. Revit 2016 was horrible with number formatting, tabs, spaces, and column widths. 2017 is the way to go.
I think Tom has left the building.  :eek:

Back