Check boxes for appropriate experience on CA PE reference?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnson_hobbes

Reaction score
I have a somewhat poor relationship with my former supervisor and he indicated that he would not check the box on the CA engagement record that indicates that I have responsible charge capability. My other three references (one from my old firm and two from my new firm) should be able to check all the boxes (I have confirmation that one at my new firm has already done so). Is that one check box going to be an issue on my application? Do I need to get additional references? 

FYI I'm pretty much done with my old boss and will never use him as a reference again.

Thank you for your input

Capture.PNG

It may be an issue, but I am not sure. I think it would be in your best interest to get a backup reference if you have that capability.

Personally, I had an issue with my CA PE application where I had to send in an additional reference to get board approval (though I was never sure exactly what the issue was with any one of my other references--I was just told I could solve it by submitting a single additional reference). That's pretty much why I think it might be worth your time to get a fifth reference.

If you can, leave your old supervisor out of it completely and find 4-5 other references. 

(Moved, this doesn't belong in the exam prep forum) 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a somewhat poor relationship with my former supervisor and he indicated that he would not check the box on the CA engagement record that indicates that I have responsible charge capability. My other three references (one from my old firm and two from my new firm) should be able to check all the boxes (I have confirmation that one at my new firm has already done so). Is that one check box going to be an issue on my application? Do I need to get additional references? 

FYI I'm pretty much done with my old boss and will never use him as a reference again.

Thank you for your input

View attachment 9178
If you are using this reference for experience, I would recommend still including it.  It's always better if the reference provides comments/remarks as to why they are commenting in the manner in which they did.

It really depends on how much time you worked under him and how it relates to the rest of your experience.   If this was your first supervisor, and everybody after him checked this box, then you may not need to worry about it. The boards usually want to see that you've grown in knowledge, skills, and responsibility. So if your first supervisor says no, but everybody after him says yes, then that shows that you have advanced in this area. If it was your most recent supervisor, then you would have a bigger problem on your hand.

I had 1 past supervisor who did not feel he had enough knowledge to write a positive referral for me due to the length of time I worked under him.  As a result, I included the job on my experience list, but i used other individuals for my professional references.  

This is my former supervisor. I think I will not include another reference from my former job and opt for an additional person at my new job.

I looked it up and apparently all you need is for them to reply, not be related to you, and to check the box that you think the person is technically qualified. 

I seriously cannot believe that my supervisor (and now I learned my associate at my old firm) would not check all the boxes. People, if you get laid off from a company and you need this form, do this the day that you get laid off and have them fill it out with you in the office. PM me if you want to know this sorry excuse for a firm that will not fill this out for me.

Capture.PNG

This is just a general question for readers of this thread... if a person has worked as an EIT under a PE but then they had a fallout... can the PE really sign and seal a recommendation stating that the EIT's work was not satisfactory? This assumes that the EIT's work was satisfactory, but then they had a personality clash or a disagreement.  I think it is making a false statement and then signing/sealing should make a PE face disciplinary action by the relevant State Board. If the EIT can prove other PEs (clients, ex coworkers etc.) that his work was satisfactory, then I believe the EIT should lodge a complaint with the State Board against his supervisory PE. Just my thoughts.

This is just a general question for readers of this thread... if a person has worked as an EIT under a PE but then they had a fallout... can the PE really sign and seal a recommendation stating that the EIT's work was not satisfactory? This assumes that the EIT's work was satisfactory, but then they had a personality clash or a disagreement.  I think it is making a false statement and then signing/sealing should make a PE face disciplinary action by the relevant State Board. If the EIT can prove other PEs (clients, ex coworkers etc.) that his work was satisfactory, then I believe the EIT should lodge a complaint with the State Board against his supervisory PE. Just my thoughts.
Part of being a PE in my opinion is to uphold professionalism over drama.  The recommendation provider must objectively provide commentary for a colleague even if it's through the grit of their teeth.  I don't think that if you can prove a PE is being a drama queen that it would constitute a license revocation, but I'd just stay away from those types and try to network with PE's actually caring how the job gets done rather than someone who focuses on petty he said she said.

I cannot speak for all licensing boards, but the references for licensure in California are NOT character references and therefore must be answered in a professional manner regardless of personal feelings.  There is a reason why California has the certification on the bottom of the reference form that references are required to sign.

Back