From Washington to Hawaii

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibabaa

Reaction score
Anyone know how to transfer from WA PE (Civil WRE) to HI PE?  Does HI need Seismic test like CA?  I had a hard time to find the information from Hawaii State Board.  Thank for any responses!

You can transfer a WA PE (with a civil endorsement) to HI.

There aren't any additional tests that you need to do.

One item of note, HI is a structural discipline state (only SE's can do structural work). You need 16 hours of SE exams to get a structural license there. 

But if you just want a civil license, then you're good.

Last edited by a moderator:
For PE - Structural discipline, their website says "Hawaii accepts passage of the PE CIVIL exam in lieu of passage of the SE I exam." My understanding is the 16 hour exam is no longer called "SE I" and SE II", but it is now Lateral and Vertical (8 hours each). Does anyone know if the PE Civil exam still replaces one of those? I'm assuming it's not replacing both and some additional examination is needed. I plan to contact the Hawaii board, just thought I'd check here as well.

For PE - Structural discipline, their website says "Hawaii accepts passage of the PE CIVIL exam in lieu of passage of the SE I exam." My understanding is the 16 hour exam is no longer called "SE I" and SE II", but it is now Lateral and Vertical (8 hours each). Does anyone know if the PE Civil exam still replaces one of those? I'm assuming it's not replacing both and some additional examination is needed. I plan to contact the Hawaii board, just thought I'd check here as well.

The SE exam is much more rigorous than the PE Civil exam. I've not seen a state that allows the PE Civil to substitute for any part of it.

The sentence before your quote literally says you need the 16-hour exam to practice structural engineering. I don’t think there’s a loophole around it

Back