Should I get updated CERM?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tangelo

Reaction score
I'm taking the exam again in April 2017 and I currently have 13th edition of the CERM. 

Is it worth getting the latest CERM or just keep using the old one?  I know not too much has changed except for the references, but since I'll be transportation depth I'll have the HCM 2010 version. 

I should be okay with keeping with the old one right?  Just want to make sure I'm not missing out on anything important.  Thanks!

I'd say no.  I would guess at least 95% of the stuff in their probably hasn't change one bit.  The only thing that might have changed are the wind provisions from 13th Ed.  For me it wouldn't be worth it.  

If you look online you may be able to find a summary of the changes. My understanding is that most of the revisions are related to the updated code references. 

There are some changes in Masonry sections (Which probably won't apply to breadth) and some changes to the concrete sections (based on ACI 2011), but its minor. Its in regards to required strength equations, if you go by the ACI and not CERM you'll be fine there. So far that's all I've found. 

If you look online you may be able to find a summary of the changes. My understanding is that most of the revisions are related to the updated code references. 
I think young.. is right here. Somewhere on the PPI website I believe there is an errata link. 

Back