Mech. HVAC new spec. exam maaterial.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eref2009

Reaction score
I am taking HVAC in april with the new spec... realisticly what materials bring and what strategy  we should follow to pass this exam? Looks like they made it tougher:(

I didn't take the HVAC depth (I was TFS), but a guy who I work with took the HVAC and passed. He used MERM, the ASHRAE Handbooks (he brought all 4), and the ASHRAE Pocket Guide. He also printed out some tables with air, water and refrigerant properties and put them in a binder. Lastly, he added a crib sheet or two, of frequently used formulas, constants, etc. 

He bought the MERM package for HVAC (https://ppi2pass.com/mechanical-pe-hvac-and-refrigeration-bundle-mehrb.html) and self studied. He borrowed the ASHRAE books from a manager in our office, since they are very expensive. We studied together for the morning topics and then split on the afternoon.

My tip: Make sure you get copies of the NCEES practice exams (2016, 2011, 2001, etc.). Taking these exams in simulated testing conditions really helped me prepare for the actual exam. Best of luck! 

Thank you for the great advice...Have you guys taken any prep courses? (etc...testmasters, school of pe...)

What are the ashrae books that your friend brought to exam? I found 2009 FUNDAMENTALS and 2010 REFRIGERATION so far...would that be enough?

What are the ashrae books that your friend brought to exam? I found 2009 FUNDAMENTALS and 2010 REFRIGERATION so far...would that be enough?
He brought all 4 books (Fundamentals, HVAC Systems & Equipment, HVAC Applications, Refrigeration) to the exam. I don't know how much he used each one, but I know the Fundamentals book was indispensable. 

The years aren't that important for the Handbooks, just try to get a set of 4 consecutive years (i.e. Each book is revised in a four-year cycle, starting with the Fundamentals. The most recent cycle is 2013 Fundamentals to 2016 HVAC Systems & Equipment). I can't speak to the importance of the other 3, but the Fundamentals is critical.

As for courses, I took the PPI Mechanical Online course with Richard Davis [I don't he is teaching anymore :( ]. IMHO, it was the reason I passed. It forced me to study, and Mr. Davis was really good at explaining subjects that I had not seen since college. I would highly recommend a study course from PPI for the Mechanical exam (I have also heard good things about Dr. Tom's on this board). As always, YMMV.

Back