April 2017 SE Exam - AASHTO 6th vs 7th ed.

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DETstru

Reaction score
The 7th edition is required for the April 2017 exam. I have the 6th edition and was wondering what peoples thoughts are on if it's worth buying the 7th.

Thanks

Do you know anyone in the industry that could lend you a copy? Typically, from version to version, the things that change which could trip you up typically are the resistance factors. Going from 0.85 to 0.9. Otherwise, I think 95% or more of the meat is the same

Are you taking buildings or bridge afternoon?  If buildings, then I think you'll be fine, like Bassplayer said.   Either way I would order David Connor's updated book of bridge problems (DavidConnorSE.com).  He will have highlighted some of the pertinent changes to the 7th and updated a few problems accordingly.  This might help you if NCEES decides to ask a question that is dependent on the code change (very likely).  

I would think you'd be fine.  Especially if you can look at someone's 7th (ignore interims!) and mark up any changes to resistance factors, etc like Bassplayer suggested.   

I'll have to see if I can get my hands on the 7th edition to review the changes. 

Buying a $400 book that I'll never use again and will quickly be out of date doesn't sound like fun... Then again, taking the exam twice sounds worse... 

i have this minus the interims (which is what you need) if someone is interested in buying. 250 plus shipping

Back