SE Bridge Help

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpallSoHard

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm considering taking the SE exam this April for bridges.  From many responses on here and given the amount of time I can prepare I've decided to take the lateral exam first and then the vertical next time.  The pass rates seem much lower so my thinking is to attack what appears to be the more difficult day first.

I need your guys help with trying to plan out my study sessions and pulling together all these design codes and materials.  I've outlined some questions below:

1. Will the afternoon session be specific to AASHTO only?  If this is the case I can really focus on the wind and seismic sections.  With all of the other codes listed I'm concerned that I don't have enough time to get through them adequately (I don't work with buildings at all).

2. I have PPI's SE Reference Manual.  If I study these chapters and reference back applicable codes to tab out should this be sufficient for the morning breadth section?  I'm hoping it will sufficiently highlight the sections of those codes and I won't need to get in the weeds too much.

3. Anyone have any recommendations for acquiring the required design codes? To my knowledge none of them are free.  I have AASHTO, ASCE 7, and NDS but lacking all the others. :(  

4. Review courses...yay or nay?  If so, which ones?  I think they would obviously be beneficial but they have a hefty price tag that when added to the code costs and registration fee ($450 in my state for each part) I'm very hesitant.

5. In your estimation how much more difficult is this test than the PE?  Similar but just more focused on structures or much more difficult.  I suppose the pass rates indicate it is more difficult.  I don't necessarily need an SE (I already have a PE and it's not required on the east coast) so I'm wondering if this is a can of worms I need to open.  If I don't pass I will have a new life mission if you know what I mean. ;)  

Thanks!

I took Lateral Bridges first in April and then Vertical in October.  I took Lateral first because I do so much seismic at work and because I wanted to tackle the "harder" subject first.  In hindsight I think I would have taken Vertical first.  Vertical is so broad and you'll be forced to learn the codes.  Better to do this first before tackling the more specialized lateral.

You can search recent threads and get all the advice you need on courses, codes, etc.  I'll summarize my recommendations:

1.  Obtain ALL of the required codes listed by NCEES.  The only exception is the PCI manual; an older addition will probably suffice.

2.  Take one component at a time.  For bridge engineers I recommend vertical first so that you're forced to learn more of the codes.

3.  Take a review course.  They aren't necessary and won't guarantee that you'll pass but they will help immensely.  

4.  Buy David Connor's bridge review book.  Get the copy updated for the 7th edition of AASHTO.  Look on Amazon or at his site:  www.DavidConnorSE.com 

5.  Study, read the codes, and work problems, problems, problems.  NCEES practice test, PPI Practice test, and maybe PPI six minute.

Thanks for the tips.  I feel pretty good with AASHTO (besides the seismic stuff) but I really need to get my bearings on the building stuff..was really hoping it wasn't on there but I guess that's asking too much haha.

The afternoon bridge should be all AASHTO.  But yes the morning will be building heavy andyou'll have to know AISC, NDS, ACI, TMS, and AASHTO to pass the morning.  You'll also have to know the analysis methods listed in the syllabus.  

+ ASCE, IBC, etc..  all of it!  They make you work for it!  Good luck.

+ ASCE, IBC, etc..  all of it!  They make you work for it!  Good luck.
Thanks!  My first mission is to get my hands on them.  We have some random stuff around the office but not the editions I need.  :/ 

Back