Structural Field/Pocket Book

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micahferguson1

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good structural book that is convenient to take on job sites, in the field, etc.?  I'm looking for something small and concise to use for doing quick calculations and such.

That would really depend on what sort of structural calculations you're attempting. I'd argue that many structural calculations are not well-suited for the field -- not necessarily because of inherent difficulty, but because most structural decisions (except some limited to temporary construction engineering) should be checked and approved by the EOR.

The rigging handbook is good for any sort of lifting devices.

That would really depend on what sort of structural calculations you're attempting. I'd argue that many structural calculations are not well-suited for the field -- not necessarily because of inherent difficulty, but because most structural decisions (except some limited to temporary construction engineering) should be checked and approved by the EOR.

The rigging handbook is good for any sort of lifting devices.
Yah I agree.  I'm just looking for something that can be referenced if something unusual comes up and I need to get a rough idea of what I'm working with.

I carry my tablet with me all the time. It used to be the Surface Pro, but I sold it. Too much machine for the field, and that's all I needed it for anymore. So I got a samsung 9,7inch tablet with the S pen. I use it more for sketching when needed or files referencing the project. When Im in a good local, I can give the tablet internet from my phone, and if I need to look something up on the internet I do. If you need to look up info for calcs, you could probably just put it in the tablet and reference it when you want to. Im too much of a noob to re-disign in the field honestly, at least when it comes to non residential projects. Keeps me up at night..... 

Back