Co Op or Internship

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AB05

Reaction score
I'm a Civil Engineering student and my school is asking me to choose either an Internship route (graduate in 4 yrs while getting 2 summer internships) or a Co-Op Route (graduate in 5 years with approx. 1 1/2 yrs of work experience).   While both routes are good, does the job market view the extra time as much more valuable than internships?

I'm a Civil Engineering student and my school is asking me to choose either an Internship route (graduate in 4 yrs while getting 2 summer internships) or a Co-Op Route (graduate in 5 years with approx. 1 1/2 yrs of work experience).   While both routes are good, does the job market view the extra time as much more valuable than internships?
I don't necessarily see the job market looking significantly differently at either program.  What matters would be the quality of the internships or coop assignments.  If you get a temporary position at a firm and they like you it might lead to a full time position.  If you do challenging work for the internships then that experience will help.  The co-op route offers more opportunities to try different places but one also needs to support his/heself for another year as opposed to getting a real job.

I think exposure to more companies would be preferred. But you would have to use that time wisely. Take notes on everyone in the office you meet. Build a relationship with some key players and follow up frequently. You may even offer to take them out to lunch before you graduate and ask to pick their brain about some places you are interested in working. Ask to use them as a reference on your resume. This all depends on you being professional during your time working for them. 

Personally I did the co-op route and had a job during the last year of school. They ended up hiring me full time after graduation so I guess it worked out.

Back