Advice for someone Moving to Montana

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
No not me..

I've got a friend moving from the Sunny state of Florida to Montana soon!

I don't know if we have an Montana members but wanted to create an advice thread for him!  He wont join the forum but I was going to send him this link..

My main advice so far has been to wear Carhart over Patagonia and to buy fleece lined blue jeans..

FL to MT?  That person is going to die a slow cold death.  My best advice: don't try to pet the moose.

Never lived there but have been up there a few times for work. I liked the area and would definitely go back (in the summer). Can't confirm this as I haven't been up there during a blizzard, but apparently if the roads are really bad and snowed over, too bad they go to work anyways.

it normally takes around 12" for them to cancel school and or work around the Denver area... I remember when we went to Yellowstone it seemed that closing the interstates for snow-storms was a normal thing as they had many gates installed to shut the interstates and main arterials down..

it normally takes around 12" for them to cancel school and or work around the Denver area... I remember when we went to Yellowstone it seemed that closing the interstates for snow-storms was a normal thing as they had many gates installed to shut the interstates and main arterials down..
Those are for the snow drifts, which can get pretty high at times.  It's usually only when the snow is blowing and drifting that they close down schools/roads.  4' drifts are not uncommon.

My neighbor's family is from MT.  They just got back from a visit.  She said her husband had to shovel snow every day.  She said people don't have snow blowers there.   Sounds like a business opportunity in the making..

I went there in July once.  It was nice.

We only close those if some jackwagon from the south has wrecked his car trying to drive 80 on an icy road. 

Back