SE Exam - Must have books

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIPE

Reaction score
All,

I am taking both the Vertical and the Lateral Exams this April. Beside the codes listed in the NCEES exam specs, what are the preparation books that I must have to prepare for the exam.

I would think that IBC 5 volume package on sample problems would be nice.

I plan on getting it

Should I buy the 2015 version of the IBC SEAOC Structural/Seismic Design Manual Volume 1 or I have to buy 2012 version ?. The 2015 one is still based on the ASCE 7-10. I have been told that the 2012 one is now discontinued and you cannot buy a hard copy form ICC any more. Any advise??

I haven't reviewed the changes the 2015 IBC made to the seismic provisions but my understanding is there should be very few functional changes to SEAOC vol. 1. Volume 2-4 may be significantly changed though so it might be worth trying to find a source for vol 2-4 from other sources.

I will order the 2015 one. I compared the table of contents from both versions and they are almost identical except example # 47. At least you buy something that is not obsolete that you can sell after the exam.

I will order the 2015 one. I compared the table of contents from both versions and they are almost identical except example # 47. At least you buy something that is not obsolete that you can sell after the exam.
they have vol 1-3 for 2015 but only have 2012 for vol 4 & 5....

do you think its a good idea mixing code years?

Has anyone ever used this book? It has mixed reviews and I can't seem to find the 9th edition anywhere. I can only find 8th edition, which is based on old codes. Not sure if I should waste money on an older edition or not.

Structural Engineering PE License Review Problems and Solutions 9th edition
Author(s): David Fanella Alan Williams
ISBN: 4427738370 ISBN-13: 9784427738371

The only documents I had/used were codes, the SERM and CERM from PPI, and the PPI and NCEES 16hr practice exams.  I think the CERM was useful for a few problems.  I think the SERM is completely useless, if I did this over again I would not purchase that document.  Both practice exams are incredibly beneficial.

You felt the CERM was useful for a few problems but the SERM was useless?? That seems backwards...

Hmm..   The CERM has a decent section on structural analysis.  I thought the SERM was helpful.  I also purchased PPI's Steel Textbook for the SE and Civil PE and I found it helpful for me, a bridge guy, on a few morning building problems.

SERM was huge for me, it's great to not only go through as a study material but use during the exam. Besides the required material, I used the SEAOC seismic manual volume 1, both practice exams, and the SERM. I also brought a book I found from college but never used it during the exam or to study. That proved to be all I needed to pass them both.

Back