CA Spring 2017 PE Applications

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peeks PE

Civil3D Wizard
Reaction score
Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone has started hearing back about their applications for the Spring 2017 test. I submitted my application around late September and got an email mid October that they had received my application and not to call asking about it.

The reason I'm asking is because the EET review course is going to start next month and I prefer to know if my application is approved before I pay all that money for the course.

CA already changed its process, you can register the exam on NCEES without the approval of the CA board now.

Just go ahead and take the course.

You can check the information on the it's website or Facebook

Halley_guo, when you say that CA changed its process, what do you mean? We can register to take the exam without our applications having been approved? Can we actually take the test? 

I'm also waiting to hear back on my application for the Spring test - I mailed my application on Nov 5 (why do something early when you can procrastinate and do it at the last minute?). I know my application fee check got deposited, but I don't think that tells me anything about getting approved or not.

Hi everyone, 

I'm confused on the change to the process as well. I've contacted the Board and am still waiting to hear back.

I went ahead a registered for the national (8-hour) exam through NCEES this morning, but the item still says "Pending Board Approval." 

I will post any update hear if I get one. Hope someone else has some more insight on this...

Cheers, 

Nick

I just registered too! As I understand it, anyone with the EIT can go ahead and take the 8-hr exam now, no application needed. An application is still needed for the CA special exams if you're doing Civil. Nick, mine says "Approved," so maybe make sure you have everything updated/verified on your NCEES Dashboard.

Orangineer, when you said application for CA special exams is that the refile application when you already took and need to retake the specifics exams? Im also confused about the application changes. For example if you only need to take one CA specific exam to get your PE Civil license in CA prior to these changes, what is the next step after you pass this one specific exam? Assuming you already passed the 8 hour and one of the CA specific exam and lets say retake seismic this spring 2017 and passed. You already submitted your PE application prior to these changes. Whats next ? 

From this link:  http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/re-examination_information.shtml

Re-Examination Forms (Previously known as Refile Application)

If you are retaking a NCEES exam, you do not need to submit a refile application, a reexamination form, or in any other way notify the California Board that you need to retake the NCEES examination. To register with NCEES, log in to your MyNCEES account: https://account.ncees.org/login. You will need to register with NCEES once registration opens for their next administration of the examination.

If you are retaking a California state exam, you will need to submit a re-examination form and exam fee prior to the posted Final Filing Date for the exam(s) you intend to take. A separate Application Fee is no longer required.

Re-Examination Forms

If you were never approved to sit for an examination, you are not eligible to use a re-examination form. You are considered a new applicant and must meet the requirements for new applicants including the final filing date. Please click on the following link for further information: http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/apps.shtml

• The re-examination form must be typed or completed online and printed. Handwritten forms are not accepted.
  • If you have not already submitted your fingerprints and completed your background check, you must do this before we can complete your re-examination form. Please click HERE for further information and instructions.
  • The re-examination form must be signed in ink by hand. Electronic or digital signatures are not accepted.
  • Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit the re-examination form at the earliest possible date. Re-examination form are processed in the order received.

Orangineer, when you said application for CA special exams is that the refile application when you already took and need to retake the specifics exams? Im also confused about the application changes. For example if you only need to take one CA specific exam to get your PE Civil license in CA prior to these changes, what is the next step after you pass this one specific exam? Assuming you already passed the 8 hour and one of the CA specific exam and lets say retake seismic this spring 2017 and passed. You already submitted your PE application prior to these changes. Whats next ? 
Hi Irap, I'm actually not sure if you're affected by the change if you've already taken and passed the 8-hour test. The only thing I can see changing is that applicants no longer need work experience to take the 8-hour exam, we just need the EIT and then take the 8-hr as soon as we want. The change doesn't seem to apply to the special exams at all though - they still undergo the same process as before, and require the work experience and application. Here's the link to the summarized change (see second to last paragraph): http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/application_process_changes_091216.pdf

Hello guys,

So I have applied for the Spring 2017 exam cycle with the CA Board and I was too caught off guard with these changes in the application process.

If you look in the CA Board website under new process flowchart (http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/new_process_flowchart.pdf) it states in the second page (1st Q&A): 

" Q. What if I have already submitted my application to take a national exam for the spring 2017 exam cycle?

A. If you have already submitted your application, it will processed along with all other applications we received. However, you no longer need to wait for Board approval to take the national exam. You may register with NCEES as soon as their registration system opens. You will then notify the Board when you pass the national exam, and we will complete the processing of your application."

I emailed and called the Board to verify this and I got the same answer. So Spring 2017 applicants go ahead and apply through NCEES. I just did it this afternoon and had no issues, just have to be financially ready to drop $350.00 (ouch!). 

I submitted my application back in mid October and just like many of you guys I have not received any letter nor email from the board notifying me that they have received my application. However, they did cash my check right away. 

The only question for someone like me (first time applicant) is if they will still let us take the specific state exams in the Spring or if they will make us wait until we get our PE Exam results. Notice that if the exam is on April 21, that means we most likely will not get the results until sometime in late June/ early July. Said so, I hope they don't make us re-apply (pay another fee) or make us wait until the next cycle opens (Spring 2018). The way I see is that they will keep our applications on hold and most likely let us take the surveying and seismic exam in the Fall 2017. This is a little frustrating as I was hoping to get done with it in the Spring and not stretch it out over the entire year.

Any thoughts?

Hello guys,

So I have applied for the Spring 2017 exam cycle with the CA Board and I was too caught off guard with these changes in the application process.

If you look in the CA Board website under new process flowchart (http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/new_process_flowchart.pdf) it states in the second page (1st Q&A): 

" Q. What if I have already submitted my application to take a national exam for the spring 2017 exam cycle?

A. If you have already submitted your application, it will processed along with all other applications we received. However, you no longer need to wait for Board approval to take the national exam. You may register with NCEES as soon as their registration system opens. You will then notify the Board when you pass the national exam, and we will complete the processing of your application."

I emailed and called the Board to verify this and I got the same answer. So Spring 2017 applicants go ahead and apply through NCEES. I just did it this afternoon and had no issues, just have to be financially ready to drop $350.00 (ouch!). 

I submitted my application back in mid October and just like many of you guys I have not received any letter nor email from the board notifying me that they have received my application. However, they did cash my check right away. 

The only question for someone like me (first time applicant) is if they will still let us take the specific state exams in the Spring or if they will make us wait until we get our PE Exam results. Notice that if the exam is on April 21, that means we most likely will not get the results until sometime in late June/ early July. Said so, I hope they don't make us re-apply (pay another fee) or make us wait until the next cycle opens (Spring 2018). The way I see is that they will keep our applications on hold and most likely let us take the surveying and seismic exam in the Fall 2017. This is a little frustrating as I was hoping to get done with it in the Spring and not stretch it out over the entire year.

Any thoughts?
(For Civil PE) You can take all three at once, or 1 at a time.  If you're approved for all three then you can take all three; there's no wait until you get the PE results back. For reference I applied in March 17 for my October 2016 exams.  I got an email on May 24 that said I was approved for all exams.  A coworker is applying for her Spring 2017 exams and got an email yesterday December 12 approved for all exams.   It's just that in the future you don't have to wait for approval to do the 8-hr.  You still need to get Board approval for the state exams.

(For Civil PE) You can take all three at once, or 1 at a time.  If you're approved for all three then you can take all three; there's no wait until you get the PE results back. For reference I applied in March 17 for my October 2016 exams.  I got an email on May 24 that said I was approved for all exams.  A coworker is applying for her Spring 2017 exams and got an email yesterday December 12 approved for all exams.   It's just that in the future you don't have to wait for approval to do the 8-hr.  You still need to get Board approval for the state exams.
The flowchart does suggest you can no longer take them all at once: http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/new_process_flowchart.pdf

Interesting.  That adds a wrinkle to the new process, such that it will at minimum take 2 exam cycles to complete your Civil PE.  Thanks for the info!  This October 2016 and April 2017 appear to be the last times you can potentially do all in one cycle.

A slight wrinkle to the discussion above:

I've applied for the SE exam in April 2017. Got a postcard (of sorts) back from the board today -- stating my work experience has been reviewed and approved (yay!) and that I'll be notified by email when my application is approved for licensing.

It then goes into some details of the PE application process that's been described above.

Per a call to the board, I was told (despite the ambiguity and confusion by mixing in PE information), this is approval to sign up with NCEES and sit for the SE exam. (Edit: per CAPLS post below, I should clarify that I am already a licensed PE in California, and have already passed the state specific exams)

Hopefully that's useful to anyone who receives a similar postcard.

Last edited by a moderator:
What you all are seeing is the public beginning of a transition, or more accurately stated...an evolution, for the process to become licensed as a professional engineer.  California is certainly not the first to recognize changes are necessary and will not be the last, it's just different because California has the state civil engineer exams to consider.

This began with California transitioning to computer-based-testing in 2012 which many didn't realize was the beginning of a 5-6 year plan for the two California state civil exams to be offered on a year round basis (hopefully in 2018).  California also recognizes NCEES's efforts that are simultaneously transitioning all the national exams to computer-based delivery method.  NCEES is in the midst of a rollout that initially began with the FE/FS exams in 2014, the PS exam a couple of months ago, and 2-3 PE exams annually over the next as-yet-to-be determined number of years.

Eventually, the national PE exams will be offered on a year round basis (some of the smaller population exams may not be able to transition simply due to logistics and demand) and licensure applicants can be processed year round rather than only biannually like it is now.  In California, if the state civil exams transition earlier, that provides more opportunities for licensure applicants to become licensed when they have met the experience/education requirements and have passed the required exams.

It's all about removing the artificial barriers to licensing (i.e., final filing deadlines, specific administration dates, long wait periods for results, etc.) that were necessary and practical in the days before computer-based testing was a feasible alternative.  It is also about the philosophy that individuals are applying to become licensed, not to take an exam.  This transition or evolution is all about licensing and streamlining the process to get there.  NCEES and all the member boards are collaborating to move in that direction.

A slight wrinkle to the discussion above:

I've applied for the SE exam in April 2017. Got a postcard (of sorts) back from the board today -- stating my work experience has been reviewed and approved (yay!) and that I'll be notified by email when my application is approved for licensing.

It then goes into some details of the PE application process that's been described above.

Per a call to the board, I was told (despite the ambiguity and confusion by mixing in PE information), this is approval to sign up with NCEES and sit for the exam.

Hopefully that's useful to anyone who receives a similar postcard.
In California, the process for an applicant seeking licensure as a Structural Engineer has not changed.  That's primarily due to the fact that the applicant is required to be licensed as a California Civil Engineer first and gain the required structural engineering experience prior to being approved to sit for the national SE exam components.  Once an SE candidate is approved, they can register with NCEES to sit for the national SE exam components anytime they wish.

Individuals already licensed in other states will need to apply for structural engineer as normal and once approved, be required to pass the two California civil exams first.

Some states require a base PE license first for SE licensure, some do not.

Last edited by a moderator:
... It is also about the philosophy that individuals are applying to become licensed, not to take an exam.  This transition or evolution is all about licensing and streamlining the process to get there.  NCEES and all the member boards are collaborating to move in that direction.
Thank you for the clarification and also emphasizing that it is not about passing an exam, but the process of obtaining license to perform a job which is essential to the public and considers public safety of paramount importance.

Back