I failed October 2016 Power PE - please assist

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owism

PE
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

First and foremost I'd like to thank everyone for the rollercoaster ride while waiting for the exam results. 

Please list what reference books you used during the exam.  I heard "least is best" so I limited myself to a few instead of flipping through too many books:

1. Power Reference Manual - Camara
  2. NEC 2014
  3. Spin UP practice exams - practiced 2 of these exams... passed both with 75%.
  4. NEC Practice exam
  5. School of PE notes and Solutions
  6. Graffeo book - I referenced this one the most in the exam but never beforehand
I know there are multiple threads everywhere on this but I figure someone has already seen that, so I'll just ask you to list the link here.

Thanks for your assistance.

MY background : Im not a practicing power engineer, but I do have an electrical engineering education (small circuits). This was the first time I was exposed to Transmission, Generators, and majority of the items on the exam. I took the School PE course and it taught me alot. I figure I need to practice more how "per units" work and get the NESC book.  Any advice of yours is appreciated. My diagnostic is attached but I have no idea what to make of it. The topics are so generalized I dont know which problems to practice for each to get better. Any thoughts are welcome

Thanks

diagnostic.JPG

as a non electrical engineer who passed the first try, I could provide tips that would help immensely

as a non electrical engineer who passed the first try, I could provide tips that would help immensely
I failed my first try and was expecting the outcome due to my performance in the exam. Any tips would be helpful to pass on the second try. Thanks in advance @Phatso86

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

I recently passed the Oct 2016 exam on my third attempt.

I used roughly the same references you did, BUT I will emphasize that you should read the Graffeo book front to back and tab it. I didn't the first time and realized it had a lot of valuable information....if you know where to find it. The index isn't too helpful.

Also, did you have the NEC handbook? If not, get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

apcjf.jpg

the jealousy is hilarious and pathetic all at once.  :tv:
Let me see if I understand your test taking abilities.

1) Ask "simple" questions, then argue with everyone who takes the time to give you an answer.

2) Take exam.

3) Whine and complain about how awful the exam was due to the nature of the exam you took being theoretical.

4) Manage a passing score outside of your knowledge base.

5) Boast on EB.

6) Offer to assist others who want to take the exam.

Yeah, I see lots to be jealous about in that list.

ok im not benefiting from this... 
Not having the education/experience with transmission lines makes this test a lot more difficult.

It looks like the books you took to the exam did not include anything that is directly related to T&D.

You might want to find a used textbook on power systems and try to work your way through it.

ok im not benefiting from this... 
That is one of them. Widi's book seemed to me to be easier to read and better for the test, but that is subject to debate. Both obviously covers more bases.

I went with the "more is better" mentality.

If you have something that covers 3 phase transmission topics, your confidence level will imporve.

I would say Grainger and Wildi are complimentary. They cover similar power topics in different ways. Grainger has a lot more theory and "engineering school" type instruction. Wildi is more applied. I would recommend getting both for this exam.

I would say Grainger and Wildi are complimentary. They cover similar power topics in different ways. Grainger has a lot more theory and "engineering school" type instruction. Wildi is more applied. I would recommend getting both for this exam.
Would you please let me know exactly which Grainger and Wildi books to get?  I tried searching on Amazon and both came up multiple.  I am not sure which one to get.  I just found out I failed again and this time the score was even lower than before.  I've been out of school for about 25 years; never worked for a power industry, but only attempting to take the PE, because I'm now working for a company that gives incentive to PE.  I wanted to take electronics, but found that there are not much study material so I opted for power instead.  It seems like the more I try, the more failure I feel :-(

Would you please let me know exactly which Grainger and Wildi books to get?  I tried searching on Amazon and both came up multiple.  I am not sure which one to get.  I just found out I failed again and this time the score was even lower than before.  I've been out of school for about 25 years; never worked for a power industry, but only attempting to take the PE, because I'm now working for a company that gives incentive to PE.  I wanted to take electronics, but found that there are not much study material so I opted for power instead.  It seems like the more I try, the more failure I feel :-(
I can't help with which books to get, but I can on advice. Being that you are not fresh out of school, have you looked into review courses? Maybe finding a study partner?

Back