Question about Application Timing/Experience

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arjay

Reaction score
Hey guys.

So I got my employer take care of the fee for FE Review Class.  I will register for the January to February 2017 Civil FE review from School of PE.  I'm planning to take the exam in NY.

So here's my background:

1. BS Civil Engg graduate from the Philippines.  My school is currently ABET accredited but I'm not sure if they were already during my time.  I graduated in 1996.
  2. Have total of roughly 19 yrs engineering/construction experience:

• First 8 yrs in the Phils.
    • Next 5 yrs in the Middle East
    • Last 6 here in the US.
  3. My specialization for most of my 19 yrs is in Project Mgmt/Project Controls - mainly cost, scheduling and project coordination.  
Questions are:

1. Are my credentials considered ABET accredited in case my school wasn't ABET yet during my time?  I read from NCEES that, if you graduated from an ABET school, you do not need to obtain approval to sit in an exam and can register immediately for the exam.
  2. In case it will be classified as non-ABET, is my 6 yrs US experience enough?  Will NYS consider my experience outside the US?  Will my experience be an issue since I spent most years in Project Controls?
  3. Considering all the above, should I start my application now even before I start the review classes?  How long does it usually take to get approval to take the exam?
Thanks in advance guys.  Really appreciate the help.

Ok. I got the answer on #1 - I called NY Board.  Based on them, my school should be accredited by the time I graduated.  So my school received the accreditation in 2008 and I graduated in 1996 so my program is not ABET accredited :(   Now, I have to apply for evaluation of my credentials.

Also found a partial answer on #2 - 6 yrs experience is required for FE based from their website.  Although I'm still not sure if they will consider my experience outside the US.

Back