POWER PE FAILING SCORES

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TNPE

Reaction score
Still waiting on TN, but wanted to start this thread to determine where the cut may be.

Don't y'all be bashful.

IT'S OUT BROSKI!!!!

PASSED!!!  Thank the LORD!!

GOOD LUCK!!

Hello. I failed. Attached is my analysis. 38 correct.

Please post recommendations for references and tips to pass on my thread here:

diagnostic.JPG

l

Hello. I failed. Attached is my analysis. 38 correct.

Please post recommendations for references and tips to pass on my thread here:

View attachment 8963
I posted this earlier, unfortunately, it was in the wrong thread but intended for you.  However, here it is:

The best thing to acquire for the eng. econ. problems is a complete table of interest rates and terms (years).  At this point, it becomes a straight plug and chug if you know what to solve for.  That's what I did for this administration and it helped tremendously.  These should be the gimme problems and the tables help in knocking the problems out fast and moving on.  Time is of the essence.

The best advice I can give for this test, material/classes etc. aside, learn who you are and how you perform under pressure.  Once you establish this, then organize and prep in such a way that you bolster your strengths and mitigate your weaknesses.  All of us are weak somewhere. Period.  Sure, you need to be prepared for all of the test, but so what if you aren't -great- in one topic area that covers 6-8 problems.... 6-8 problems will not make or break this test if you are strong in most other areas.  As for materials, I borrowed the GA Tech binder from a friend/ex-colleague (it is great for studying, not a great tool on test day, but still useful...I took it and used it a few times)...Graffeo is a must (has some errors, but it really hammers home the parts you need to have down pat to be successful on this exam).... any college texts that you are comfortable with using (comfort level with your resources is much more advantageous than having a book that has the answers but you don't know where to find them)...NEC/NESC are a must (learn where to look in this book...past exams and practice material will help with this...they are large volumes, but if you know where to look and have an idea of what types of problems to expect (along with exceptions), you'll be fine here).

Good luck.  Get after it and knock it out in April.  You got this!

Dude,  I found the PE power is quite theory oriented, you might want to refresh what you learn from college.

Dude,  I found the PE power is quite theory oriented, you might want to refresh what you learn from college.
To be honest, I don't know that what I learned in college would have been of much help for the "theory" heavy topics.  I picked up on the "theory" by picking up books, articles, anything I could get my hands on, and reading until I was blue in the face!!

To be honest, I don't know that what I learned in college would have been of much help for the "theory" heavy topics.  I picked up on the "theory" by picking up books, articles, anything I could get my hands on, and reading until I was blue in the face!!
I happen to think all the theory question was more or less practical application theories rather than heavyset theory we learn in college.

this test was so hard that no one who passed is back on here being a dick about it. (unlke the people who passed in the previous cycles)

This test had way too many BS questions. I studied so much for 8 months and these last two months accepted my failure. The test ruined my Halloween too.  :wacko:

But i'm having a very happy Christmas now knowing I did end up passing!

this test was so hard that no one who passed is back on here being a dick about it. (unlke the people who passed in the previous cycles)

This test had way too many BS questions. I studied so much for 8 months and these last two months accepted my failure. The test ruined my Halloween too.  :wacko:

But i'm having a very happy Christmas now knowing I did end up passing!
You can check the attitude at the door.

A quick search of previous exams yields the same thing. People who passed busting on the ones waiting for results.

If you feel that this was the only time that the electrical test was difficult, then you are horrifically mistaken.

I failed the test a couple of times, so I have a basis of understanding of how the test is written over multiple cycles.

The cycle I passed on was heavy on theory, whereas the ones I didn't pass were more equation driven.

Passing the exam does not make you a good engineer, it just means that you were competent enough to have a basic knowledge of the material presents. Or, you got **** lucky in guesses. 

You can check the attitude at the door.

A quick search of previous exams yields the same thing. People who passed busting on the ones waiting for results.

If you feel that this was the only time that the electrical test was difficult, then you are horrifically mistaken.

I failed the test a couple of times, so I have a basis of understanding of how the test is written over multiple cycles.

The cycle I passed on was heavy on theory, whereas the ones I didn't pass were more equation driven.

Passing the exam does not make you a good engineer, it just means that you were competent enough to have a basic knowledge of the material presents. Or, you got **** lucky in guesses. 
I failed the April exam and thought it was more computational than the October exam. I ended up passing the October one. Even with the more computational parts of the exam, April was difficult exam as it really needed you to understand the theory before applying a equation to get an answer. I was also not that prepared for that exam. My assumption is that if you have an exam that is high on computation, you maybe able to play with equations and get the answer but you cant do that with pure theory based questions. Moral of the story is that it still required you to have basic understanding of everything and not just plug and chug.

Love to know your thoughts on the difference between the exams you took.

2 hours ago, Ken PE 3.0 said: You can check the attitude at the door. A quick search of previous exams yields the same thing. People who passed busting on the ones waiting for results.

I failed the April exam and thought it was more computational than the October exam. I ended up passing the October one. Even with the more computational parts of the exam, April was difficult exam as it really needed you to understand the theory before applying a equation to get an answer. I was also not that prepared for that exam. My assumption is that if you have an exam that is high on computation, you maybe able to play with equations and get the answer but you cant do that with pure theory based questions. Moral of the story is that it still required you to have basic understanding of everything and not just plug and chug.Love to know your thoughts on the difference between the exams you took.
The exams I took were all over the map. Some real easy questions and some that still puzzle me. In fact, I still don't know what was being asked on a couple. Either way, I finally figured out the right formula to pass the test.

Back