Congratulations all you new P.E.s

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like a lot of states posted this afternoon.

@trochreo can you please recommend books for my April 2017 pe exam?

Thanks,

King.
Yes, I can. I am planning on doing a whole write up, from my strategy to books, and so on. However, I can tell you, that the best and absolute indispensable book for this test is Alexander Graffeo. Electrical Engineer's guide to passing the power PE Exam. This book was my bible, my day to day study guide. I went over this book twice, from first page to last, without skipping anything. In my opinion, without this book, it is impossible to pass the Power PE  test. I also, used, NEC, NESC, Camara, Stevenson, Complex Imaginary practice tests (all four test), NCEES practice test,  and Chapman book for electric machines. During the test 90% of the time, I used Graffeo . Like I said, a write up a full description of what I did is coming up, hopefully this weekend. You can do it, believe in yourself, it a long, tedious process, but if you stick to it, you will pass. more to come. 

s5_logo.png

Yes, I can. I am planning on doing a whole write up, from my strategy to books, and so on. However, I can tell you, that the best and absolute indispensable book for this test is Alexander Graffeo. Electrical Engineer's guide to passing the power PE Exam. This book was my bible, my day to day study guide. I went over this book twice, from first page to last, without skipping anything. In my opinion, without this book, it is impossible to pass the Power PE  test. I also, used, NEC, NESC, Camara, Stevenson, Complex Imaginary practice tests (all four test), NCEES practice test,  and Chapman book for electric machines. During the test 90% of the time, I used Graffeo . Like I said, a write up a full description of what I did is coming up, hopefully this weekend. You can do it, believe in yourself, it a long, tedious process, but if you stick to it, you will pass. more to come. 

I think Camara is a waste, just like most of the PPI material, unless, of course, they've adapted to the "format/style" of the exam.  Agree totally on Graffeo.  Book has a few errors mathematically, but it covers the definitive, lead pipe cinch material you need to know to pass.  Several questions on this administration were almost verbatim from the Graffeo book.

Chapman, as in Stephen Chapman?  I used this book as well, being as it was one of my college texts.  I used it more than any other book on the test, other than the code specific questions where you needed NEC/NESC.  

Chapman, as in Stephen Chapman?  I used this book as well, being as it was one of my college texts.  I used it more than any other book on the test, other than the code specific questions where you needed NEC/NESC.  
Yes, thats right. 

Electric Machinery Fundamentals 

by Stephen Chapman 
The transformer, auto transformers, induction motors, generators is very good on this book. I answer all Auto Transformer questions using this book. Specifically Buck and Boost mode. It was so confusing before, but this book made easy. 

Autotransformers are a weird concept due to them being a single winding, but mathematically, they're very easy to analyze.  At least I think they are.

@trochreo Congratulations on your success.

I want to be a bit specific, which books would be must suitable for Special Applications under these General Power Engineering topics

Special Applications: 1. Lightning and surge protection  2. Reliability  3. Illumination engineering  4. Demand and energy management/calculations  5. Engineering economics 

Thanks,

@trochreo Congratulations on your success.

I want to be a bit specific, which books would be must suitable for Special Applications under these General Power Engineering topics

Special Applications: 1. Lightning and surge protection  2. Reliability  3. Illumination engineering  4. Demand and energy management/calculations  5. Engineering economics 

Thanks,
I agree with what was said about Chapman and Graffeo. As for the topics in the question above, some are covered in Graffeo but I printed more material for the topics above which proved extremely useful. For engineering Econ I solved all the problems separately and included other pdf's such as tables and slides. All of the material was off of this board.

The best thing to acquire for the eng. econ. problems is a complete table of interest rates and terms (years).  At this point, it becomes a straight plug and chug if you know what to solve for.  That's what I did for this administration and it helped. 

The best advice I can give for this test, material/classes etc. aside, learn who you are and how you perform under pressure.  Once you establish this, then organize and prep in such a way that you bolster your strengths and mitigate your weaknesses.  All of us are weak somewhere. Period.  Sure, you need to be prepared for all of the test, but so what if you aren't -great- in one topic area that covers 6-8 problems.... 6-8 problems will not make or break this test if you are strong in most other areas.  As for materials, I borrowed the GA Tech binder from a friend/ex-colleague (it is great for studying, not a great tool on test day, but still useful...I took it and used it a few times)...Graffeo is a must (has some errors, but it really hammers home the parts you need to have down pat to be successful on this exam).... any college texts that you are comfortable with using (comfort level with the material is much more advantageous than having a book that has the answers but you don't know where to find them)...NEC/NESC are a must (learn where to look in this book...past exams and practice material will help with this...it is a large volume, but if you know where to look and have an idea of what types of problems to expect (along with exceptions), you'll be fine here).

Good luck.  Get after it and knock it out in April.  You got this!

Back