Just took and passed FE electrical and computer test

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ahmed Diab

Reaction score
Hello

quick background

I didnt get my degree in the US and i just took the FE Electrical and Computer exam and i passed it first time

i took the test in California

i work full-time so i was studying on and off for about 3 months

i graduated 2 years ago

all i did was study the linderburg manual and the 1001 questions book and also the reference book (THAT WAS IT)

i didn't flip through old notes or watch youtube videos or do sample tests or even buy the sample test on NCEES (which is overpriced and am sure nothing on it will be in the exam typically)

anyway before the exam day i was very confident and everyone on the internet was basically saying that its as simple as looking up the formula in the reference book

SPOILER ALERT (that is complete BS at least for the electrical and computer test) the exam was full of questions that needed knowledge way beyond the given reference book

the exam was way tougher than i expected specially with the first general part which i didn't do well in it

i flagged about 18 questions out of 56 questions in the first section and was sure of 35 questions at most

i solved most of the maths questions and did well in economics, statistics and ethics

the worst parts for me were the Electromagnetics, Linear Systems and the Material Properties, mostly because they were not covered comprehensively in the material that i studied from

other sections were not covered in a good way in the material that i studied from but if you know it already or just graduated you should be fine

the second half however which was concentrated on the electrical and computer part was way better for me

it wasn't easy or anything but i did really good (which i didn't since i was freaking out during the break after not doing well in the first half given the fact that everyone says the first half is easier and its the half that got them to pass the exam)

i only flagged like 4 questions in the 2nd part and i answered 3 of them correctly at the end when i reviewed what i flagged and only had to guess around 10 questions in the whole 2nd part

i think the reason why i did way different than anyone else in the exam is due to my education background .. i really didn't care during my first years where we studied the general stuff and mostly got Bs and Cs

but after that i only got As in all the major related courses

anyway after the exam i went again on the internet to find people claiming that you need 70% raw score to pass which wasn't good for me to hear and i was worried that am not gonna pass

but i got the results which typically comes out every Wednesday at around 9AM ET and i passed (thank God)

my advise is to give yourself time before the exam (you dont wanna re-take it and pay again and wait for the next window) also try to go deep when you study and make sure to go and find extra material on any section that you didn't feel you are good at

am not telling you to stick to what i studied (since it wasn't enough to be honest) but am just saying that its your responsibility to prepare yourself in the best way

if anyone has a question (not related to the content of the exam questions since we agreed on a nondisclosure agreement) am here to help

regards

Back