Military Separation Advice

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluehengineer

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I am finishing up my initial active duty service commitment at the end of 2017 in the Air Force after going through ROTC to pay for college.  I have a BS in Civil Engineering, an ME in Engineering Management, and just took my PE.  I also have 4 years of experience doing mostly construction and project management and currently supervise 25 people.  However, upon separation I want to get into the water resources field and wanted to see if anyone on here had advice for what else I can do to increase my marketability?  I have been taking on every water project that I can get my hands on and have been doing some Civil 3D and hec-ras work lately to try and get better with those tools.  Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks

Are you looking to move to the private sector? Are you thinking public works, major works...? Personally, I'd look for and try to stick with a federal agency. Even if there isn't a watman or other water field position available, it would be easier for you to get another engineering position with such agencies working military projects, construction or other CE job. You'll get preference. You can then move around as the opportunity arises in the water sections.

If you've ever had a career coach, you've heard that they want you to write your resume for the job you want, not the one you have. If most of your experience is something other than water resources, private sector recruiters will be calling you all the time for those fields. It gets frustrating.

Otherwise, it would be good to get familiar with what water management companies do. It varies widely so I know I'm not answering your question. But for example, our office does dam and levee safety. Periodic Assessments, rating curves, water control manuals/procedures etc.... rely on hydraulic engineers and hydrologist. So a course with that in mind couldn't hurt. They mostly do voodoo with statistics I think but it's important :D

Sent from my SURTAB-722-3G-HD-1S using Tapatalk

You would be well sought after with consulting firms that do federal land projects.. most all the big civil firms pursue these contracts...

In the navy how do you separate the men from the boys?

with a crowbar 

Back